ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects renders rotoscope incorrectly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Twan PeetersAfter Effects renders rotoscope incorrectly
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 12:30:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently editing a short movie, and I have some problems with rendering one of the shots in After Effects.

In the shot the actress walks past herself. We filmed it twice on a tripod, so we got two pieces of footage: One of her standing in a store-front and one where we see her back. I put the footage layer where she walks past herself on top and masked it out using the rotoscope tool.

Now when I try to render the whole project in quarter resolution it works perfectly, but when I render it in full resolution it just let's the top footage suddenly dissappear during the shot. (

Is this a bug? I hope someone can help me out, big thanks!

Best regards,

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: After Effects renders rotoscope incorrectly
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:43:43 pm

Make sure that layers are not in 3D mode. (the little box icon).

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects renders rotoscope incorrectly
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:46:28 pm

Sorry, there isn't nearly enough information to make an informed recommendation.

It could be the software, it could be the footage from the camera, it could be your video card, it could be your settings... you get the idea.

You can help us out A LOT in our efforts to help you by providing the information you'll find here:

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Twan PeetersRe: After Effects renders rotoscope incorrectly
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:57:56 am

Thank you so much for your quick response. I'm sorry for reacting so late myself.

The videolayers weren't accidently put on 3D mode. Figuring out why the rotoscope isn't working took me a lot of time and I still don't know why it doesn't work. I decided to throw away the rotoscope layer and mask the person out. That was quite a task, but in the end it took me less than an hour, so that's solved.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved