ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Object removal with clone stamp tool issues. Fast camera movement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Newton
Object removal with clone stamp tool issues. Fast camera movement
on Jan 2, 2013 at 4:05:24 am

Okay I've searched the far corners of the internet for a solution but I can't find one. Basically when I was filming with my cousins we left our fake blood bottle in the background of the shot. I'm not sure how we didn't notice it but it happens.

In the shot I am tackled by my cousin down a short creek bed in the woods and up on the hill is the bottle of blood, as I'm tackled the camera follows us down. I've used the CLONE STAMP TOOL to remove the bottle and it looks pretty good, at first. The problem is that the camera footage becomes blurred when the camera follows us since there's fast camera movement. Basically the clone source area is clear and steady and it just doesn't look good when the camera speeds up and in the background there is a fairly crisp looking splotch of woods with blurred woods all around from the camera movement. I'm seriously stumped. I've looks at every tutorial I could find. I've motion tracked as well and that looks good but like I said, I've got a clearer looking splotch of background moving with a blurred background.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Object removal with clone stamp tool issues. Fast camera movement
on Jan 2, 2013 at 5:50:51 am

Sample from a blurred area, then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Alex Newton
on Jan 2, 2013 at 6:05:27 am

I've tried sampling a blurred area too, but then I simply get the opposite effect. I'll have a blurred area where the camera is stable

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Jan 2, 2013 at 7:22:18 am

Alex

May be applying CC Force Motion Blur Effect to the Cloned footage will help.

You can match the blur amount by adjusting the Shutter Angle.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Alex Newton
on Jan 2, 2013 at 8:45:16 am

Vishesh that did help with the blur. Only problem I'm having now is that the splotch is jittery looking and a little bright. If I brighten the layer it brightens everything in the video and not just the brushed spot in the video.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 2, 2013 at 9:42:18 am

Object Removal is the correct strategy but using AE's Clone Tool is overly zealous as I suspect that the bottle is placed on a ground and is surrounded by inanimate objects/subjects.

Use the Clone Tool as a last resort and only when the object to be removed is enclosed with a moving area such as removing a logo from a t-shirt worn by a talent walking in the shot. Another example is removing a boat which is moving ever so slightly, as one would expect on a lazy mid-day.

What you need is a single frame, clean patch coupled with tracking data. Use mocha's transform data if there is no large perspective change. If there is a large perspective change then use mocha's Corner Pin (supports motion blur). For the latter, you should of course apply the tracking data directly onto the patch instead of a Null.

On your case, take a look at the following tutorial - http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/vfx/simple-clean-plate-object-removal-usin...

To obtain the required motion blur, do the following once you've applied the tracking data in AE. Set Shutter Angle to a value that reflects the motion blur you require. Then set Shutter Phase to -50% of the Shutter Angle to ensure that Motion Blur is centered for the clean patch - a phenomenon that all cameras simulate in-camera.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]