ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Syncing Audio in AE CS6?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim BondSyncing Audio in AE CS6?
by on Jan 1, 2013 at 5:19:38 pm

Hi everybody. Pretty new to AE and first time posting here...

I was wondering if it is possible to do basic audio edits *IN* After Effects, without the audio being locked into your footage's frame rate?

If not, what do the pro's usually do? Bounce it to Pro Tools?

Happy New Year! Time to get to work!

Jim

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Syncing Audio in AE CS6?
by on Jan 1, 2013 at 6:43:14 pm

You should not so any audio manipulation in After Effects; it's not the right tool for the job.

I recommend using Audition, since there is built-in integration, as demonstrated in the videos linked to from here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2011/04/after-effects-cs5-5-integration...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jim BondRe: Syncing Audio in AE CS6?
by on Jan 1, 2013 at 6:54:56 pm

Hmm... supposed I wanted to sync up SFX with gunshots on video or something to that effect, where I needed precise audio placement lined up with video elements?

What would you recommend then?

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Syncing Audio in AE CS6?
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 1:06:37 am

You could do that in After Effects then, but if you are passing this to an audio engineer or sound designer for a mix it's problematic since AE can't export OMF files (what they really need to work with). OMFs are an audio export format that keeps your audio tracks separated and allows for additional heads and tails on those clips which they usually need.

NLEs like Final Cut and Premiere can do this, so it might be a good workflow idea to work in one of these environments once your picture is locked and do your audio there. FYI most sound people work in Pro Tools. I'm not sure how compatible Audition files or exports are with that program. A caveat is that Adobe does great software but some of their programs are not industry standards.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Jim BondRe: Syncing Audio in AE CS6?
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:08:43 am

Ah ok. I haven't tried working with the audio in Premiere yet. I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll bounce it to Pro Tools.

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Syncing Audio in AE CS6?
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:11:34 am

I'm not recommending doing a final mix in premiere. It's only if you want to rough things out for a sound designer and give them an OMF. if you are a one man band, do it wherever you want but AE is the least friendly place to do a mix.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]