ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotoscoping moving image with poor background separation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik RosenbluhRotoscoping moving image with poor background separation
by on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:03:17 am

Howdy,

I've got video shot on a 5D Mark III, of a person in costume. I'm supposed to mask out the background so I can put whatever I want behind her. Needless to say, it wasn't shot that great and there is not a strong definition between the model and the background. I tried monkeying with the Roto-Brush in AE and it only goes a few frames before it stops masking. I tried the Pen tool, but obviously did something wrong because the pen shape would not adjust to each frame. Is there a great tutorial someone can point me to?

Here's a screen grab of what I'm working with. Not the best setup, but hopefully not hopeless.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Rotoscoping moving image with poor background separation
by on Jan 1, 2013 at 10:52:37 am

Erik

I tried the Pen tool, but obviously did something wrong because the pen shape would not adjust to each frame.

you have to Animate the Mask Path for each frame.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Rotoscoping moving image with poor background separation
by on Jan 1, 2013 at 3:09:22 pm

Rotobrush isn't exactly intuitive, you might want to to watch a few tutorials on Rotobrush, because from your brief description it sounds like it's working the way intended. It only does about 10 frames and then you have to extend the frames it will do out or set start frame selection. It takes work, but compared to actually cutting the person out frame-by-frame, it's really quicker.

Here are a couple of tutorials that might help you understand rotobrush better.

AfterEffects CS5: RotoBrush

I messed around with your image and it's not hopeless, but that image will take a lot of work. Did they use a filter in camera to achieve that color? Was that backdrop there with the idea of keying it in post? If that's the footage you received they didn't go out of there way to make it easy for you. The feathers are going to be particularly tricky. This might be a case where you will need to rotobrush, mask and possibly key to get an 100% perfect pull.

Here's my results, quickly messing around with the rotobrush.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Erik RosenbluhRe: Rotoscoping moving image with poor background separation
by on Jan 1, 2013 at 7:41:56 pm

Nope, no filter. That's the light and makeup.

Uhh, I like what you did better than what I'm doing. Why don't I just send you all my footage? :)

Your edges are really clean. Ultimately the background will be all black, but I'll put in fog and lightning. It's supposed to be kind of 70's cheesy looking when all done. They were supposed to have a photographer and his studio to shoot this in, but he fell through at the last minute so he ended up doing it in his apartment with borrowed lights. Certainly woulda been better in front of a black seemless.

I'm just an editor and relatively new to monkeying around with AE, but the results I've seen look great.

You said I'd need to "rotobrush, mask and possibly key." Isn't the rotobrushing doing the masking?

thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 1, 2013 at 10:46:57 pm

I'm just an editor and relatively new to monkeying around with AE, but the results I've seen look great.

Haha, that's how I got pulled into this AE world, just a humble editor until somebody had to learn how to make some text glow...

The first frame is the hardest, but if I were you, would get a good pot of coffee and some good tunes, cause even with the rotobrush this is going to be very long job. It will get easier with time, but there isn't a much in the way of separation in the colors there. Take some time to watch those tutorials. The 30 minutes spent watching them will probably save you hours down the road.

Anyway, here's the project and settings I was used to roto that one frame---hope it helps and good luck: 5145_rotobrushfolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jan 2, 2013 at 12:54:20 am

How did you get such clean edges around the feathers? Are you using a Cintique or something? My mouse sucks, cuz when I scroll to zoom in or out, it just zooms way the hell in or out.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 2, 2013 at 1:15:09 am

If I was at work I would be using a wacom, but I'm just on my home system and I'm using a mouse right now. It actually took 3 or 4 attempts on each feather, then using "alt" a few times to deselect areas. Like I said, this is going to be a pretty time consuming roto. Instead of using the mouse to zoom in, I use "cntl + plus" or "cntl + minus".

Depending on the length of the clip and the trouble you are having, it might be worth thinking about a re-shoot.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 2, 2013 at 1:22:35 am

Eep. I don't know about a reshoot. I'll do what I can with what I have. Besides I'm gonna have effects in there, so maybe it'll work to my advantage.

I haven't tried editing with a Wacom yet. I'm left handed, but that's my keyboard hand. I've been using mice in my right since '83. I'm sure with practice you get used to it.

Return to posts index

David CamilleriRe: Rotoscoping moving image with poor background separation
by on Jun 29, 2013 at 10:16:49 am

I would like to change the background color for the rotobrush image to green. How do I do that?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: Rotoscoping moving image with poor background separation
by on Jan 1, 2013 at 3:27:47 pm

Hey,
how about Difference Matte-FX ?
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/923637

This makes only sence if you have a empty shot of the background!!
(Maybe you can photoshop something...)

The shadows could be tricky, and maybe you need to combine some Key-Roto-Maks technics.

;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]