ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advanced set extensions in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ihab Ali
Advanced set extensions in After Effects
on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:53:23 pm

Happy new year everybody!

Can any one direct me to a good set of tutorials or even a book on how to do advanced set extensions in after effects? I've studied videocopilot.net's tutorials around the subject and they are great but I'm looking to learn how to extend exsisting sets and not to create ones from scratch. Here's what I mean(and I'm not really even sure what that's called, so maybe that's why I couldn't find much on CCOW and the internet in general):

Say you have a shot of a building tilting down from the sky to the bottom of the building, I want to be able to extend the building so it looks like it's much taller that it actually is(i.e. the bits of the sky appear to have a vanishing point extension of the building) Tried different 3D camera trackers(including the CS6 built in tracker) and adding a photoshop cloned layer of section of the building to the comp... I was trying to replicate the effect done in The Big Lebowski of the infinitly long bowling shoe shelves during dream scene of the movie...didn't work at all.

Another example,
A pan shot with a trailer truck in the backgound, add another instance of the trailer so it looks like the truck is longer than it actually is.

I know a lot of things can be done by creating 3D models and tracking the camera in the shot and then compositing the model into the shot but I don't have alot of skills with 3D modeling software and I wanted to see if there are some tricks to doing this in AE using AE's 3D capabilities.

PS. I apologize if this is not called "set extension", I just couldn't find a better way to describe it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Advanced set extensions in After Effects
on Jan 2, 2013 at 8:29:35 pm

[Ihab Ali] "Tried different 3D camera trackers(including the CS6 built in tracker) and adding a photoshop cloned layer of section of the building to the comp... I was trying to replicate the effect done in The Big Lebowski of the infinitly long bowling shoe shelves during dream scene of the movie...didn't work at all. "

Camera projection should help a great deal. Ben Rollason provides the best single-sentence explanation of projection that I've seen yet: "By projecting the camera's view onto a match-moved surface, Projection effectively creates a plate from a moving shot - a static overhead view of part of the moving image."

He continues: "That makes altering that part of the image child's play. For instance, tracking marks in a shot can now be removed with a single quick paint stroke, taking seconds instead of hours."

Ben's Projection script[link] would be enormously helpful for this kind of work.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ihab Ali
Re: Advanced set extensions in After Effects
on Jan 4, 2013 at 7:16:54 pm

Thank you for the recommendation...I'm going to explore projections as a solution to what I'm trying to do. Before buying anything I gotta learn how to do it myself :)

Thanks again for the information!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]