ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE noob. Question about altering a template

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Matz
AE noob. Question about altering a template
on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:31:37 pm

Good Morning. I have a bit of a dilemma, and I have searched the Internet high and low for an answer to no avail. I am a complete noob with AE, I am trying to alter a template that creates a small slide show and animated text.

So here is my problem. I am trying to copy and paste a 5 second clip of the animated text to the next instance on my timeline. When I do this and alter the text on the pasted clip the text from the original changes as well.

I have tried this everyday that I can imagine and I still can't figure it out. Seems like it should be pretty easy?. It is driving me crazy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Running AE CS6 on a Mac Pro.

Brian

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: AE noob. Question about altering a template
on Dec 31, 2012 at 4:02:42 pm

It sounds like the text you need to change is in a precomp---something named like "change text here".

Go to your project panel and duplicate that composition and rename it something appropriate. Now open that up and change the text. Insert that precomp into your final composition where needed.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Brian Matz
on Dec 31, 2012 at 4:38:38 pm

Johnny,
Thanks for your reply.

I tried what you said and I am still getting the same result, I will try to explain what is happening.

All of the scenes are labeled Scene_01, Scene_02 ect

Within that Scene there are assets like you mentioned above. The asset I am trying to change is called "Text_Edit" So I duplicated Scene_04 (which is the layer with the text on it I want to edit).

When I do that it creates a new layer all the way at the bottom named "Scene _14" in that scene there is a comp still named Scene_04 and then the "Text Edit" layer. I updated the text to what I wanted it to say and then dragged that scene down into the timeline panel below Scene_Build_04.

The text is still showing up as the original? Do I need to render the new scene and then drag it down there? It should be as easy as your explanation, but maybe I am missing a detailed step.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Brian

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 31, 2012 at 5:08:48 pm

This will probably make it easier. True Comp Duplicator, is a name your price script(you can pay nothing, if you so choose).

Creates a complete duplicate of a comp hierarchy including sub-comps. If a comp is used multiple times, the comp only gets duplicated once and all remaining references point to the first duplicate. If the comps are arranged in a special folder hierarchy in the project panel, that folder hierarchy is preserved or duplicated (depending on user preference) for the duplicated comps.

The problem you are having is when you copy the top layer, it links to the original pre-comps---new ones aren't created. To do this manually, you would have to duplicate all the pre-comps(and any nested pre-comps within those) and then replace them in your final comp---can be a real pain if you have many nested comps. The true comp script does this all in one swoop. You would highlight "Scene_04" in the project panel and run the script. Then open up the true duplicate, change the text and insert the new scene into your project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Dec 31, 2012 at 6:49:13 pm

If you like the script, please pay the person for their time and hard work. That way we will see more new and wonderful things from these skilled folks. Many rely on this site for income :D

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Brian Matz
on Dec 31, 2012 at 8:29:41 pm

Thanks Guys. I will take a look at that. If the script solves my dilemma I will totally throw $$ the developers way.

Happy New Year and again I appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Jan 1, 2013 at 7:57:46 am

Duplicate Text Edit precomp/layer. You are duplicating wrong composition i.e. Scene-04.

Well true comp duplicator will help you to get out of it.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 1, 2013 at 2:11:37 pm

Why are you repeating what's already been stated?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 1, 2013 at 3:34:24 pm

My guess would be so that he stays in the masthead of the forum. I've noticed quite a few people seemingly doing that on various forums. I think there should be a rule about needless/repetitive responses, but it would be difficult to enforce. We should all, as regular responders, think long and hard about that, since this adds to the noise without contributing anything...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Jan 1, 2013 at 10:58:30 pm

John
Even after your response, Brian duplicated the wrong composition.

I just corrected him so that he will learn how to understand nesting in AE.

Joseph

I have helped many peaple in both forums by giving my time and knowledge. So don't guess anything. No one is getting paid or any award here to help peaple.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:41:37 am

Vishesh -

That's why I chose my words carefully - I have been posting on several forums here and helping people since the very first year of the COW's existance. I know you don't get paid - none of us do - but remember that you're pretty new here, and the appearance is that there are many gratuitous posts from you when they're not really required. I don't expect awards, or ask for them, but I also don't jump in when I don't have an answer to someone's question, or when it has already been answered. As I said, noise and repetition does nothing for the COW content...we're about quality, not quantity.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Jan 2, 2013 at 5:04:46 am

Everyone is about quality rathar than quantity these days. But if someone feels like this, then I would appreciate your concern and keep this thing in mind from now onwards.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]