ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dinamic Link Trouble from Premiere Pro to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabi Bucataru
Dinamic Link Trouble from Premiere Pro to AE
on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:23:10 am

So, I followed one of Adobe TV's video explaining how you can import a Premiere Pro sequence (as a single clip) via File->Dynamic Link for color grading in After Effects, etc.

I did just that, the Premiere sequence shows up in my Project panel, if I double click on it, it shows the actual footage etc., all fine.

However, if I drag the imported PP sequence over the Create A New Composition icon, the composition is created however, there's no clip in the timeline.

Need to mention that in the PP sequence I have a bunch of dynamically linked AE compositions (I used "replace clip with After Effects composition" in the PP timeline).

In their video it looks so easy and I though this would be a great way to color grade my final video in After Effects since it offers Adjustment Layers, as opposed to Premiere Pro where i would need to apply the color grading effect to each clip separately (a pain).

thank you!
Gabi.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: Dinamic Link Trouble from Premiere Pro to AE
on Dec 31, 2012 at 4:17:04 am

I think you have to replace the PrP clips that are dynamically linked to AE with rendered movies from AE, before you can drag the entire PrP timeline back over to AE for CC.

Other wise you have dynamically linked comps in a dynamically linked comp.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Gabi Bucataru
on Dec 31, 2012 at 4:32:38 am

Thanks Tom!

Good point. Do you have a suggestion on how render from AE to match the same format in the PrP clips? I mean I know how to use Add To Render Queue, but I was wondering if there's some important stuff to keep in mind to not loose any resolution.

thanks!
Gabi.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Dec 31, 2012 at 9:30:55 am

Gabi

"if I drag the imported PP sequence over the Create A New Composition icon, the composition is created however, there's no clip in the timeline."

I selected all clips in my timeline, Right click> Replace with After Effects Composition.

Now in AE,if I drag the imported PP sequence over the Create A New Composition icon just as you did, I have all the clips in my new composition in a precomp.

Don't know why they are not appearing in your case.

Also there is no need to put all of them in new comp.

Apply the CC effects on an Adjustment Layer and render the final output from Ppro. No need to render it again from AE. Otherwise whats the use of dynamic link then.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Dec 31, 2012 at 4:46:47 pm

Gabi, you could use an uncompressed codec which will be very large files or a loss-less codec like PNG which makes image sequence files.Or you could use Prores (on PC) or DNxHD which most professionals use for mastering which are very clean in their compression and a very manageable size. Your choice..

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Gabi Bucataru
on Jan 1, 2013 at 3:56:23 am

Vishesh: Thanks for the tips. I tried replacing all the timeline with an AE composition from PrP but it took forever in AE to have the clips available. Specially the ones already replaced by an AE.

Tom: Thanks again - I used to do that while working with Final Cut Pro but in my slightly unorganized project might have proved a pain if i would try to replace all of them.

I ended up nesting all the clips in one big clip on PrP and applying color correction to that one. In my case it solved dealing with each clip separately on the timeline. Again i used this method while working in FCP.

Why don't they have an Adjustment Layer in PrP?

thanks for all the help!!

Gabi

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jan 1, 2013 at 4:37:09 am

They do have adjustment layers in CS6 PrP.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Gabi Bucataru
on Jan 7, 2013 at 4:47:03 pm

Tom!

That's it! I found the adjustment layer in PrP! I was expecting it in the right-click menu on the timeline as you have it in AE.
Thanks a TON!!!

Gabi

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jan 7, 2013 at 4:51:57 pm

You are welcome, Gabi. Glad to help.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687