ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mapping a comp to a spot in another comp (not the anchor)?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabi BucataruMapping a comp to a spot in another comp (not the anchor)?
by on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:17:07 pm

Hi gang!

Can't believe it's the end of 2012! I think 2012 was time re-mapped.

So, I have this comp which is an animated flower with some wiggle, etc., and I have a separate comp which is the stem of the flower that springs out from the ground.

The question is - how can I parent (or map?) the flower to the tip of the stem to follow the stem's movement (generated by the scale and wiggle expression)?

Simple parenting would not work since the actual stem anchor point is at the "birth point" of the stem springing out of the ground.

Any ideas of where should I start?

Thanks!
Gabi

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Mapping a comp to a spot in another comp (not the anchor)?
by on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:26:10 pm

Can you elaborate on how you're animating the stem? Not sure I follow.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Mapping a comp to a spot in another comp (not the anchor)?
by on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:32:41 pm

Even if I do not exactly understand how you animate the stem, can't you duplicate the stem layer, precomp leaving all attributes and inside the precomp position your flower comp at the top of the stem and turn the stem layer off?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Mapping a comp to a spot in another comp (not the anchor)?
by on Dec 31, 2012 at 12:48:18 am

Ted,

I think he means in an ideal world he'd like to parent to the anchor point of the flower to the anchor point of the stem. Lets assume that means moving the anchor point to the top of the stem.

As it stands now, the anchor point is at the bottom of the stem which makes the above possibility not a great option. He's probably animating it to grow up/out from the source point like the flower is growing.

I do like your idea to precomp, because you're basically able to set a different anchor point for the precomp while leaving the stem's alone.

That might, indeed, be the solution.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Gabi BucataruRe: Mapping a comp to a spot in another comp (not the anchor)?
by on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:01:56 am

Thanks so much for your replies. I re-read my original post and it would leave even me confused and scratching my head.

I think all this could have helped if i would have posted an example of what I am trying to achieve:

So basically there are the following things happening:

1. the rotating red flower as a pre-comp
2. the stem springing out of the ground (the anchor point is at the stem base (or rather birth point).

I would like to basically "stick" the rotating flower to the tip of the stem growing out of the grownd, following its scaling a wiggle.

For the wiggle-jiggle movement of the stem, I am using a free preset found here: https://www.box.com/s/4b751392b64f7a4fa0ba

thanks a bunch!
Gabi.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2012 at 11:07:07 am

I think that precomposing the stem with the flower should do it then.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Gabi BucataruRe: Mapping a comp to a spot in another comp (not the anchor)?
by on Jan 7, 2013 at 4:45:04 pm

Ted!

Sorry for getting so late back to you. Your trick actually worked! it took me a while to figure out why it wouldn't let me precomp with "Leave all attributes in" (I had both layers selected while trying to pre-compose).
So yes - your's is the answer!!

Vishesh: I see your tip. Thanks a lot. I would use it for a more intricate movement. Thank you for help!

Thanks a bunch!

Gabi.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Mapping a comp to a spot in another comp (not the anchor)?
by on Dec 31, 2012 at 1:23:24 pm

Gabi

Just a hit and trial method.

Open the Stem Graphic file in photoshop or any other photo editor. Make a white Dot on the top of the stem and then Motion Track the White Dot(which will be very easy, But make sure Motion blur of stem layer is off and search are is big).

Attach the Tracking data to a Null point and then parent your Flower to the Null object.

Then replace the stem file with the old one.

I have tried it sometimes and it worked fine.

Also try posting the Question to Adobe After Effects Expressions forum as the preset is totally Expression based.

With a little bit tweaking in expressions, someone will get you the write code.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]