ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Render locked up

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron PozzerAE Render locked up
by on Dec 29, 2012 at 9:58:27 pm

im having a wierd problem...

i have my comp ready to render, and its set to use 2 or 3 cpu's instead of all 8, just to make sure i dont over do it on the ram usage. normally for my larger projects i may have to wait minutes before it does whatever its doing and actually starts to render. i dont know what its grinding away on...

just now, i hit render and watched task manager. each thread filled up (ram) and then sat there at 0 cpu usage. the interface was locked up. i killed that AE process, and tried again. still no luck. i tried a few times and it keeps doing the same thing.

so thats the problem. i was going to start turning off precomps 1 by 1 to try and see if 1 in particular is causing the problem.

but then!... as i was ending AE processes, i ended 1, nothing happened, ended another, nothing happened, endded another, and all of a sudden the render started going! i did this test again and did the same thing and it happened again. its like 1 of the render threads is causing the whole thing to lock up. i've not yet tried setting the render to NOT use multiprocessing.

anyway, just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this? or maybe has a suggestion on why renders may take so long to start (if they start at all).

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: AE Render locked up
by on Dec 29, 2012 at 10:17:09 pm

Well multi-process rendering does take a little while to start up regardless. It's doing some house keeping and starting up all the new processes and so on. On my system it's always far less than a minute of lag though, maybe 20-30 seconds. If it's far longer I'd think it'd be an issue.

The other thing is to look at your effects. If you're using openGL effects then multiprocessing may be bottlenecking at your GPU. If you're using effects that rely on caching the previous frame like Neat Video noise removal or some timewarp effects, then you may get unreliable results or really laggy renders in multi-process.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Aaron PozzerRe: AE Render locked up
by on Dec 30, 2012 at 2:47:18 pm

i dont think anything TOO complicated is going on. i have maybe 4 instances of turbulent noise applied to various layers, as well as that many roughen edges. i think TN would definitely give it something to chew on, especially 4 of them, but besides that, its just straight keys and a few simple expressions.

graphics card is a GTX 580 3gb. win7 x64 w/16gb.

iv read a few articles on AE memory usage and what not, and most say the newer versions do a good job on their own so dont worry about it. not to helpful. so my personal rule for MP settings is that if its a project that requires loading lots of footage, or high res images, set fewer threads, with more ram per.

i had it set to use 1gb of ram per render thread when this problem occured, and i think 4gb reserved for windows. iv yet to do a test with MP disabled... since i got the render to work eventually i was happy enough at that.

i know AE needs to get organized before it starts rendering, and most of the time renders start promptly enough. its only been occaisionally when it gets realy slow. it usualy seems to happen when i go from half res test renders, to full res (1920). though im starting to think its happening more frequently now and im starting to be afraid of having to do renders! it also seems to take a very long time for ram previews to start. im guessing it may be related to the same MP issue. i realy havent spent enough time trying to find work arounds because its not that huge a deal and it usualy works, eventually.

so far its nothing thats a deal breaker, so to speak... just annoyances that i gotta work around.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE Render locked up
by on Dec 30, 2012 at 12:13:05 am

We need to know a lot more if we're going to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: AE Render locked up
by on Dec 30, 2012 at 12:21:39 pm

Try turning off multi processing. I'm not a tech but its never worked well for me and when I've had your problem it's almost always been solved by disabling that feature. Use more of your RAM too. You shouldn't be using your computer much while AE is rendering anyways IMO.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Aaron PozzerRe: AE Render locked up
by on Jan 3, 2013 at 2:58:45 pm

not sure if anyone saw my post above? its a reply to Angelo's comment, and it contains more info on the project im rendering.

either way, i just rendered it again with MP OFF and it rendered fine. started right up.... no hanging. maybe a fluke? i dunno.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved