ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mocha Timelapse Stabilize

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent BoileauMocha Timelapse Stabilize
by on Dec 28, 2012 at 3:35:09 pm

I'm producing a series of timelapse whiteboard videos, but the board is on an easel and sometimes shimmies when the artist moves too quickly. So, I need to stabilize using Mocha. (I tried warp stabilizer a few times with little success)

So, in mocha, I wait until he's drawn something that he won't cross over too much, and then I track it. Only problem is that even though the X-spline tracks seem pretty tight in Mocha, they're not stabilizing well when I paste the transform data (Anchor point only) back into After Effects.

What might I be doing wrong?

AE 5.5, Mocha AE, MacPro 2x2.4 Quad Xeon. 10.7.5

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Mocha Timelapse Stabilize
by on Dec 28, 2012 at 4:57:59 pm

Based on the available information, it sounds like the white board wasn't securely and solidly attached to a solid, motionless support.

It will cause great problems down the line if this problem isn't addressed at the time of shooting. It's FAR MORE difficult and time-consuming to fix it in post.

If you're doing a series of these, you owe it to yourself to eliminate this problem when it's the most easily-solved: at shooting time.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vincent BoileauRe: Mocha Timelapse Stabilize
by on Dec 28, 2012 at 5:08:25 pm

That's probably the most prudent advice. My mistake in production is certainly causing more of a headache in post than I imagined.

I managed to get a better track in Mocha by using the B-spline tool and doing a tighter bezier shape around one of the more stable drawings. I also ticked the "small motion" tag which kept it looking for more subtle motions (3 pixels or so according to the manual).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved