ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Questions about exporting sparkle and snow effects with transparency background?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Monica Powell
Questions about exporting sparkle and snow effects with transparency background?
on Dec 28, 2012 at 5:34:22 am

Hello,

I truly apologize if this is silly question. I will admit I am brand new to Adobe AE.

I want to do this tutorial with transparent background but when I tested this the snowfall turned golden-yellow. ??

I read a post that said it must be exported RGB + alpha so I tested it this way but then the the snowfall turned golden-yellow. I want to use the tutorial but with transparent background and NO yellow snowfall. What do I do?

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Questions about exporting sparkle and snow effects with transparency background?
on Dec 28, 2012 at 10:38:01 am

Monica

Videos with Alpha Channel may look awkward in video players as they don't have the option to read alpha channel. But once imported in any software like AE that reads alpha channel, it looks perfectly fine.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

John Hudson
Re: Questions about exporting sparkle and snow effects with transparency background?
on Dec 28, 2012 at 3:52:16 pm

Monica,

You may be dealing with the difference between a straight alpha and Premultiplied alpha. Especially if your composition's background color is set to yellow. In the render que under the Output Module setting go to Video Output > Color > Straight (unmatted) or Premultiplied (Matted) to make this change. In most cases you would want to use Straight but since your dealing with just white (snow) you might be better to choose premultiplied. See the link below from our friend Aharon Rabinowitz. He does a great job explaining the difference.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/straight_vs_premu...

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 28, 2012 at 8:55:04 pm

Another thing to bear in mind is that with effects that rely on the brightness of the image, you'll often get the best effect if you render your effect over black, then composite it in Additive mode. This works best of course with effects in which the brightness of the effect is greater than that of the background, such as sparkles, flames, fairy dust, and other effects where the brightness is part of the image looking real. It only works where your background is darker than the effect, since Additive mode adds the value of the foreground pixel to that of the background pixel.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Monica Powell
on Dec 29, 2012 at 6:45:10 am

I understand what you mean when you say they are best on dark or black backgrounds. But for this image I need the bg to be transparent because it will be placed on an IMVU web page for and act as a sticker.

It needs to have the ability to let the other images show beneath the image of falling snow.

I have seen the effect work quite well with sparkles but I had no idea how to do it. I am glad to finally find this help.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! :)

Return to posts index

Monica Powell
on Dec 29, 2012 at 6:32:48 am

J. Hudson,

thanks a lot for the suggestion. As I said I am brand new to this. So I probably need to correct some settings as you say.

Man, AE sure has a lot going on. lol. Probably take years for me to learn this. :)

I will follow the steps you outlined! Much appreciated!

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]