ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Morphing clothes vfx

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick BirksMorphing clothes vfx
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 6:42:28 am

The agency I work for is trying to do something like this video

(I'm sure its been posted) I do mostly motion graphics so how this was created is way over my head, so i'm just trying to do similar things that are simpler like this video.

I this is much easier for me to break down but i'm still confused on how to achieve this effect. So does anybody have any tips?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Morphing clothes vfx
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 12:50:24 pm

In the second video it's done by locking down the camera. The actor moves his arm without the coat on and then does a second take with the coat. The key is that his location, eyeline, and arm movement must be as exact as possible.

Finally in post he composites the shots together with using a simple mask.

For youtube videos, if you go to, you can download high res versions of the video, drag them into AE and watch them frame by frame---I find it very handy when trying to break down shots.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Morphing clothes vfx
by on Dec 28, 2012 at 1:03:01 pm

The plugins used were Mettle's FreeForm V2, FreeFormPro and RevisionFX's Re:Flex. More info here -, towards the middle of the page.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved