ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

add a 2D image onto top of an underlying image - grrrr what is the technique called?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Bachadd a 2D image onto top of an underlying image - grrrr what is the technique called?
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 12:47:46 am

Hi all

So my 7th grader was watching some Disney show and the opening sequence showed some kid cartwheeling across the USA. For the opening bit it looks to me like they put the kid in front of a green screen and captured his cartwheels. In the sequence, he was doing his cartwheels across a map of the USA. Each location they stopped at on the trip, a "pushpin" kind of thing with a photo attached to it would appear. It reminded me of a "popup" sort of thing. The photo thingie would wave a bit and cast a shadow onto the map below it. It looked 2D, yet it had the 3D illusion of standing proud of the map bkgrd layer. Love that effect and I could use it for a client.

But of course now that I want to do more with it not only do I not know what to call this effect, I can't find this Disney sequence anywhere online either!

Can anyone relate to this? Or am I to be left alone with my delusions?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff BachRe: add a 2D image onto top of an underlying image - grrrr what is the technique called?
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 12:53:33 am

OK I tried the search one more time and found the Disney channel bit

The photo effect on top of the map starting at about 26 seconds is what I am after.....

Jeff Bach
Quietwater Films
Madison, WI.

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: add a 2D image onto top of an underlying image - grrrr what is the technique called?
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 1:10:40 am

If you go frame by frame, the photos grow from nowhere so you could use the scale property to handle that. When it stands up, this is easy for After Effects: click the 3D switch on for the layer and you'll be able to rotate on all three axis. Place the anchor point at the bottom of the photo and rotate it forward - boom you have a photo that stands up.

If you want to get more technical, you can add the drop shadow by adding a light to your comp. In the materials property for the photo select "Cast shadows: yes", "Accepts shadows: no", and "Accepts light: no". Turn on the background layer's 3d switch and in the materials property select "Cast shadows: no", "Accepts shadows: yes", and "Accepts light: no"

Adjust and animate to taste.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: add a 2D image onto top of an underlying image - grrrr what is the technique called?
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 8:58:54 am

Jeff

See this example that I have made for you:

5126_3dphotoanimation.zip

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>