ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caio GracoBest Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 8:38:17 pm

Whats up guys!

I'm the founder of a educational start up business, and we're about to launch our first video product to the e-market, via online streaming.

It's just me and my partner, totally bootstrap, and i'm the one who got some knowledge when it comes to video editing.

I can make things happen in After Effects, but since i do not work with it for a living, i'm pretty sure that i'm unaware of the best praticies for editing a really large ammount of videos.

Our first product have 150 videos. It's actually a educational 3 month program.

How can i plan the editing of such a big load of videos, focusing on getting all of them edited on a reasonable time frame? And what are the best practices for this task, when it come to production management and execution?

Please, i need at least an insight for those questions ASAP, if i'm being clear enought about them of course. Any questions, please ask, dont jus' leave.

That's about it fellas!

Thank you all very much in advance,

Graco

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Best Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 10:05:08 pm

If you want to edit things in a timely manner, don't use After Effects.

After Effects is not a video editing program (also known as an NLE or non-linear editor), it's a strange amalgam of visual effect, compositing, and finishing tools. It does not have the toolset or display video in a manner that makes it conducive for plain editing.

Invest in Premiere if you don't have the program already, and a monthly subscription to Lynda.com so you can watch some training videos and get up to speed.

With that said, in terms of management, Premiere doesn't do any management or cataloging at a file/disk level. You'll have to figure out how you want to manage, move, and keep track of files yourself.

Within Premiere, like After Effects, you can organize things via bins.

The best thing to do, since you don't have some monolithic company-wide decided-on file organizing structure, is to base your project/file structure on the inherent structure of your final product.

It might be something like Master Project > Bin for DVD 1 > Bin for each major section of the DVD > Bin for audio, video, additional assets.

This structure also allows you to do paper audits. You know how far along each section is, if a section is complete, if a section is in client review and so on.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Caio GracoRe: Best Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 9:25:02 am

Thanks!

Question: what are the main differences between video composing and video editing?

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: Best Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 12:49:33 pm

In the editing you cut the composed clips ;)

Edeting Programs are faster but limited in the things you can do with a clip.
Composing Programs are able to deal with huderts of layers, or give you mutch more control over the clips or let you do stuff to a clip, that you would never get done in a editing program.

;)

(take a step back, to see the bigger picture)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 9:20:56 pm

[Caio Graco] "Question: what are the main differences between video composing and video editing?"

Video editing is arranging video clips in time: for example, wide shot of the host, cut to close up of the host, dissolve in lower third, cut to close up of product shot, etc.

Video compositing is combining multiple clips at the same time: for example, removing the green chroma-key background from your host and adding a virtual set behind him or her.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Best Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 10:08:56 pm

You don't say the length of these videos, but my guess would be they're maybe 5 or so minute modules. For anything over a minute, I would suggest you think about using Premiere Pro. Although I've worked in both AE and Premiere Pro for years, AE is a compositing package, not an editing package.

You might want to look over a few tutorials on PPro on the Adobe Channel, and see the difference in workflow. Since there are so many videos, it will make sense to set up templates, such as an open and close, in Premiere. You can work much more efficiently this way.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: Best Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 10:15:55 pm

Hi ;)
You need:

Opener & Closer
Lower Thirds
Chapter Titel
(all in the look of the company..)
And maybe think about cuts and transissions... (less is more!! but try to stick with it! (if it makes sense and looks good))

Why do i point this out? If you are in the production of your videos, you will notice how stuff will get finished faster, if you take your time in the edit of the (lets say) first three episodes, and make them realy good --> the rest will be only fun!

Think about the editing, how many frames from and to a Title are "in the flow"? Count the frames and try to stick there! (but only if that makes sence!!) Edit 3 Episodes, show them to people the never seen your work, get feedback! Make something out of it...

I think, if you are able to get stuff done in AE and PP, the only thing is GET STARTED!

I hope that helps ;)
POST A LINK !!!!!
:D

(goofy english? that becouse i am no native english speaker... JA! Sauerkraut...)

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Best Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 8:56:40 pm

If you want to edit incredibly slowly...use After Effects.

Like others have said, it is not a video editing program. The biggest problem is that you can't just watch your timeline, you need to render every time, and there is a limit to that type of playback as well.

With a video editing program, (with most codecs), you can just watch your clips instantly if there are no filters applied.

Even if I'm working on a piece that is 90% graphics, I'll still make a content string inside an editing program and then import those selects into After Effects. After Effects is great at a lot of things, but video editing is not one of them. It would be like using Photoshop to write a book.

*On a side note. I am a little alarmed that you don't know what a NLE program is. Are you getting a little over your head with these videos? Perhaps you should contract an editor to help you with getting some of the first videos out the door. You can be upfront and tell him or her you want to be trained as well. It would be a good investment. There are a ton of caveats with producing videos that I'm guessing you are unaware of.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best Practices For Fast Video Editing in AE
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 9:24:13 pm

[Caio Graco] "Our first product have 150 videos. It's actually a educational 3 month program. How can i plan the editing of such a big load of videos, focusing on getting all of them edited on a reasonable time frame? And what are the best practices for this task, when it come to production management and execution?"

I'd argue that the best practices here are not actually on the post-production side; they're on the pre-production side.

This is such a big topic -- do you have any experience with work like this?

If so, do you have more specific questions you could ask?

If not, have you considered hiring someone or partnering with someone to help you produce these? I'd hate to see your venture derailed because you've underestimated the complexity of getting this product to market.

Best of luck!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]