ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Collect Files Unreliable

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike MacKenzieAE Collect Files Unreliable
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 6:57:37 pm

Is it me, or is AE's Collect feature unreliable? I have been burnt by this a few times over the years, and since I haven't learned from my mistakes I have been burnt yet again.

I will select a few comps from the Project menu, then go to File / Collect Files / For Selected Comps, then Collect. I'll typically direct the collection to a removable drive so I can take my work with me. Then I get home and discover that not everything has been collected. In the latest case I did not even get any missing media error, the comps just didn't have everything in them that they were supposed to.

Is this a common problem with AE? It has affected me now and in previous versions. Currently running CS6 on a decent Mac Pro running Mountain Lion, but again this has happened to me repeatedly over the years. Also...when you opt for "selected comps only" should it be smart enough to also collect any precomp material as well?

I know the simple answer is to skip collection and simply copy the entire project folder, but unfortunately that is not always an option. I'd really like to figure out the problem with the Collect function, although I expect the problem is between the chair and the keyboard.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Motion Graphics Designer / Art Director
Boston, MA

System:
Mountain Lion on SSD
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800
18 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: AE Collect Files Unreliable
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 3:15:21 am

Ensure that you have the latest version of AE CS6 which addressed some issues with Collect Files. Additionally, it's best to Collect Files to a fast drive, especially if you're creating a copy of the original footage.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: AE Collect Files Unreliable
by on Dec 27, 2012 at 8:19:51 am

Mike

Also...when you opt for "selected comps only" should it be smart enough to also collect any precomp material as well?

Yes, Ae is smart enough to collect the files which are in a the precomps.

Though I have suffered from the same problem. Most of the times it skips the files. I don't know why it happens.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE Collect Files Unreliable
by on Dec 28, 2012 at 6:18:59 pm

Please submit detailed bug reports here so that we can isolate and fix any problems:
http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]