ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Best Motion Tracking Software

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark EllisBest Motion Tracking Software
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:00:11 am

I'm looking for advice and suggestions on motion tracking software. I want to be able to take 2D video clips and track motion so I can add 3D objects into the footage. For example tracking someone's head movements and then placing a 3D model of a hat on their head in the scene. I thnk this is called Geometry motion tracking... but I'm not sure.
Software I use is After Effects CS6 & Cinema 4D R13. I was using Mocha Pro v2 for tracking but I'm wondering if any of the other options I keep hearing about are better united for 3D Geometry. If anyone's used any of the trackers on this list. Or other ones I haven't heard about I'd love to hear what you your opinions.

Pf Track
Foundry Camera Tracker

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: Best Motion Tracking Software
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 9:02:20 am

tricky question!
I use Mocha and The Foundry and sometime just the build in tracker in AE5.
One thing i can tell you, there is (imho) no ONE tracker that is the best of all! Every tracker has its ups and downs. Thats why i chose a tracker when i look at the footage and think about the job that needs to be done.

I know that this not the anser you whanted, but thats what i can say about this.

i hope this helps (a bit)!

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Best Motion Tracking Software
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 9:47:12 am

After Effects CS6 has new 3D Camera Tracker feature that can export Tracker data for Cinema4D R13 and above. Since you have both software available you can use this feature.

See the Tutorial

Everyone will give different advice as it depends on personal ease of using the softwares. I prefer Boujou and SynthEyes though.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Mark EllisRe: Best Motion Tracking Software
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 3:14:09 pm

To my understanding the 3D camera tracker is for tracking camera movement, not tracking geometry like PF Tracker... am i wrong about that?

Motion Graphics / VFX / Sound Design

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Best Motion Tracking Software
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 11:57:14 pm

The AE Camera Tracker, PF Tracker and Syntheyes are all 3D Camera Trackers using points.

Mocha is an object tracker (primarily) that tracks planes.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Best Motion Tracking Software
by on Dec 25, 2012 at 2:25:08 am

Here are a couple of examples of 3D object tracking using mochaAE/Pro V3, which is essentially what you have described -

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved