ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Displacement Maps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Suydam
Displacement Maps
on Dec 18, 2012 at 4:30:13 pm

I am trying to displace an 3d image... scrolling webpage... over
2/3rds of the 2d background, any suggestions.

-Barry

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Displacement Maps
on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:30:38 pm

I'd duplicate the video layer and precomp it. Then use curves(preferred) or brightness contrast effects to create more contrast on the white wall. In the final comp apply Distort > Displacement Map to your image layer and tweak the results. You might want to add a soft blur to the image and then play with the transfer mode.

Here's a quick sample project I made that you might want to look at as a jumping off point: 5101_displacementmapfolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Barry Suydam
on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:55:26 pm

Thank you for the response. I couldn't open the project you generously prepared (64 bit). However I have done your suggestions the problem lies with the displacement map of the comped video layer. It gets applied to the whole image therein displacing the person as well not giving a accurate result to the displace image.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Dec 18, 2012 at 6:01:29 pm

How about in your final comp have 2 layers of your on talent

1.Displaced version

2.Regular version

Then create a mask over the man is the displaced version to reveal the regular version underneath.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Barry Suydam
on Dec 18, 2012 at 6:11:29 pm

Displacement maps are based on composition size not masked out characteristicks...I was hoping that would work...
back to the drawing board thanks for the effort.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 18, 2012 at 6:16:10 pm

In your precomp with the high contrast image you could mask out the part with the person. Then place a grey solid underneath, since it's neutral it shouldn't displace the image in the final comp.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Dec 20, 2012 at 1:32:48 am

As per John's suggestion, areas with values of 127 for each of the RGB channels, for a Displacement Map, will not exhibit displaced pixels. IOW, these areas will be neutral for the image with the Displacement Map.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]