ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating a person that passes by my camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian LeeCreating a person that passes by my camera
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:23:55 am

And the person must be black a.k.a. silhouette because there isn't any light source shone on him from the direction of the camera. To aid your imagination, I am recording a machinima (music video using online virtual world) and the camera is focusing on an avatar/player then suddenly after 2s, somebody unknown walk pass my cam and move on, thus blocking my camera for a split second... or maybe 1s. So is the only way to deal with this is to make a black solid and then mask the shape of a person + keyframe animation? Well I want something more 'authentic' and 'professional' haha. If there is, then I will do the latter or otherwise, I have to stick with my last resort. Utmost thanks to all of you.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Creating a person that passes by my camera
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:32:42 am

The most realistic way to do it would be to shoot a person against a green screen, key them out, then use the keyed area as a darkened silhouette by using the alpha channel of the key as the matte for a black solid. If you wanted some of the dimensionality of the person in there, you could just darken the keyed person way down, and let a little of the lighting show.

Another way would be to use a 3D character created in Daz3D or Poser, render it off, then use the outline the same way as above. I think it would be much quicker to just shoot it green screen.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Arvin BautistaRe: Creating a person that passes by my camera
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:09:37 am

if the person doesn't need to be moving other than passing the camera you can find silhouettes here:

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Creating a person that passes by my camera
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:47:45 am

I would go with Joseph in this case. Using a green screen and then keying out the actor for silhouette version is an easy and fast way.

But if the animation is just for 1 second(as you have said), you can mask the character using pen tool or using Rotobrush(I would suggest to go for this).

Duplicate your footage, Roto your character using Rotobrush and then apply Fill effect(Generate>Fill) to create a silhouette effect.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved