ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to use the Light layer that acts as a light that shines on my face but not make the whole video dark

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian LeeHow to use the Light layer that acts as a light that shines on my face but not make the whole video dark
by on Dec 17, 2012 at 5:56:36 am

I went through a lot of trial and error but still not getting what I want. I want to make, umm.. let's say a torch shine on my face (in the footage), so I put a Light layer on top of that footage layer, but however it just shines on one spot of my face and other than my face, it's all pitch-black. And so, I thought I am clever enough to fix the dark part of the footage, I increase the Light's radius but it just makes the light shine my whole body. No no no I just want the light to shine on my face. IDK how to do this!! I hope You got my drift. It's so hard to explain hmm... Thx

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How to use the Light layer that acts as a light that shines on my face but not make the whole video dark
by on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:57:41 am

Sebastian

1. Duplicate your footage and light layer.
2. Create a mask around the face on Second Layer. Feather it out.
3. Now precomp the light_2 and face_2(the one with mask) layers.
4. In the Precomp, Increase the intensity of Light-2.

Here is an example:
5096_lightonselectedarea.zip

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Sebastian LeeRe: How to use the Light layer that acts as a light that shines on my face but not make the whole video dark
by on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:56:24 am

What is the Second Layer? Is it the duplicated footage or the duplicated Light? Thanks mate.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How to use the Light layer that acts as a light that shines on my face but not make the whole video dark
by on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:11:17 am

Sorry For the confusion.

Its the duplicated footage.

Check my uploaded file for reference.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Benjamin AusmithRe: How to use the Light layer that acts as a light that shines on my face but not make the whole video dark
by on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:44:44 pm

For an even simpler method, just make an adjustment layer with increased brightness or exposure, and make a feathered mask where you want it.

Light layers are useful for 3D layers but overkill for brightening a spot on your image.

Benjamin Ausmith
Post-Production Assistant
Monadnock Media, inc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to use the Light layer that acts as a light that shines on my face but not make the whole video dark
by on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:55:25 pm

Here's a crucial question that no one has yet asked:

How realistic does this have to look?

If the answer is "not very", the suggestions given so far will work fine. If the answer is "absolutely photorealistic", we'll need screen shots and many more details of the shot in question to be helpful.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Arvin BautistaRe: How to use the Light layer that acts as a light that shines on my face but not make the whole video dark
by on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:34:26 pm

Make one ambient light to lighten the entire scene to normal brightness, and then make another light that will add extra light to just the part you want.

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.greasypigstudios.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]