ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Equivalent to PS Luminance Mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Fizer
AE Equivalent to PS Luminance Mask
on Dec 16, 2012 at 12:54:44 pm

I'm new to video and AE and have been struggling with migrating techniques I use in Photoshop to AE. One PS technique in particular is using blending modes with luminance masks created from one or all of the RGB channels to help with highlight and shadow control.

In PS (Mac), I create a luminance mask by Command clicking on a particular channel, then create a curves adjustment layer to which PS automatically applies the luminance mask. I then change the blending mode to either Multiply, Soft Light or Screen, depending on my intentions. (Screen requires the inversion of the luminance mask for shadow control).

I've come across a solution in AE that requires triplicating the original footage in the comp. For the top layer in the comp I use Colorama>InputPhase>Intensity & OutputCycle>RampGray. This layer is then turned off. The middle layer has the Tracking Matte set to Luma Matte (Or Reverse Luma Matte for shadows) I then change this middle layer blending mode to Multiply, Soft Light or Add.

Is there an easier way of accomplishing this? In PS I might use this technique with a number of layers in one file. For AE, it seems I might end up with 6 or 9 layers of original footage duplication if I want to run several iterations of this technique.

I do hope this makes sense.

Mac CS6 Production Premium, AE in 32bit mode.

Many thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: AE Equivalent to PS Luminance Mask
on Dec 20, 2012 at 10:38:40 am

Mike

you can blend a layer to itself using CC Composite(Effects>Channle>CC Composite) without duplicating it.

Check this link : CC Composite

It may help.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Mike Fizer
on Dec 20, 2012 at 11:43:47 am

Vishesh,

I do appreciate this, that is much simpler.

Many thanks,

Mike

BTW, I think I'm going to buy that book!

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Dec 21, 2012 at 7:05:34 am

Glad I could help Mike . And I would suggest you to buy CMG book. Its a great book and all topics are pretty well explained with examples.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]