ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Question about RAID 0 for AFX and PPro: Setup, Organization, and Risk.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maher ElzeinyQuestion about RAID 0 for AFX and PPro: Setup, Organization, and Risk.
by on Dec 16, 2012 at 8:49:06 am

Hi all,

I am very well aware that this topic has been discussed far too often on all adobe forums. I have taken the time to read, study and understand the concepts behind a RAID setup - specifically posts by Harm Miilaard.

I have just gotten an upgrade to make me a lot happier while editing videos for clients, or doing post production after-effects, or just animation. I use after-effects and premiere pro, but I spend a lot of time with photoshop and Illustrator as well. In terms of storage, this is what I have:

-OCZ 120gb ssd - win 7 x64 + programs installed on it
- 3x 1TB Toshiba 7200rpm sata, 3.5"
- 1 1TB WD my passport EXTERNAL hdd

I have been considering setting up a RAID0 Array with my 3 toshiba HDD's; and then backing up files onto the external HDD.

Is this a good idea?

If yes, then here is where I am most confused .

1. First of all, with that list of storage devices, I noticed how people mention splitting things up, for example, source media on one drive, project file on the other, and export on another. Can I get some specific advice on how I should be doing these designations. Please keep my set of storage devices in mind (nothing can be replaced, or added at this point due to budget)

2. Once, I set up a raid0 array, what exactly am I backing up, and how often? So far, I assume I will be keeping all of my sound/video/image libraries away from the 3 toshiba's and keeping them on my external. But what exactly am I backing up? Project files? Finished exported media? both? Also, should I be keeping my source media in one of the raid array drives or on my external?

3. I am rather anxious about the thought of such potential data loss when using RAID0 settings; however, something tells me with proper backing up practice, then I should not need to worry. Would I be able to fulfill this with my current setup?

I appreciate all your time, everyone - especially your patience regarding this repetitive subject.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved