ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects "strobing" jittering....

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony SipsasAfter Effects "strobing" jittering....
by on Dec 14, 2012 at 4:40:08 am

I have animated a spot in after effects which a scene contains a "wall of ipads" scrolling across the camera at an angle (similar to watching an assembly line go by from above). Each Ipad is a PSD, with either a stil or footage within it and everything is fine except i noticed a small thing thats really bugging me.

as the ipads travel across the camera, they seem to be sluggish. its almost the same effect you would see if you were filming, with your shutter set wrong when your panning across an area.

this concerns me, as its not happening to any live text within the scene, nor is it happening to anything else in the scene (video, graphics, etc). Its just the comp with the ipads.

The comp with ipads is a pre comp with a grid of ipads. Its about 2k tall/4k wide, and travels across AEs camera in 3d space.

Not really sure whats causing this as everything else is smooth...

Any ideas/suggestions?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: After Effects "strobing" jittering....
by on Dec 14, 2012 at 8:27:22 am

turn motion blur on for the layer. If that does not do it apply a small blur- .3 to .5

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects "strobing" jittering....
by on Dec 14, 2012 at 3:39:24 pm

You may be experiencing a phenomenon known as judder. Here's a good description of what causes it and how to overcome it:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878948?tstart=0

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anthony SipsasRe: After Effects "strobing" jittering....
by on Dec 19, 2012 at 7:43:28 pm

Thanks Dave. I think that was it. It was 24 fps comp, so I made sure keyframes were exactly a multiple of 24, and that the pixels moved were also a multiple of 24. The motion is now incredible smooth, but now there is a significant amount of line movement from the fine detail in the images. The only thing that really cleans that up is blurs, so Ill do what I can to clean that up.

Thanks again!

A

Return to posts index

Anthony SipsasRe: After Effects "strobing" jittering....
by on Dec 20, 2012 at 12:29:45 am

Showed it to the Boss. Not happy with the results. Its much smoother, but not smooth enough.

Is there anything else I am able to do, or is this just a problem with after effects?

Is it possible to script a move with expressions? would that eliminate this process?

What would an expresion to do this be?

Best,

A

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects "strobing" jittering....
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 1:51:29 am

[Anthony Sipsas] "Is there anything else I am able to do, or is this just a problem with after effects?"

It's not a problem with after effects, it's a problem that manifests itself more frequently at the frame rate in which you're working.

Your options are:
Alter the speed of the motion
Alter the frame rate

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]