ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Selecting the composition layer that corresponds with the footage in my viewport.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruud van Gerven
Selecting the composition layer that corresponds with the footage in my viewport.
on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:33:40 pm

Hello Everyone!

I've got a problem that might be very easy to solve. My AE project is huge +300 layers in one composition :p Let's say my timeline slider is at 0:00:01:30. How can i select the correct layer that's shown on my viewport right now? When i for example right click my footage in the viewport and go: "Reveal Layer Source in Project" it only shows me the top most layer of my composition and not the correct layer that is somewhere in the 300 haystack :p. Same problem when i select the footage (in the viewport) to move its possition, it doesnt select the correct layer but only the top layer...

Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Grtz Ruud

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Selecting the composition layer that corresponds with the footage in my viewport.
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:27:28 pm

Ruud

Instead of selecting Reveal Source Layer in Project, Select the layer in view port and press P,T,R, or S. This will highlight the selected layer in the timeline.

Just a small trick.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Ruud van Gerven
Re: Selecting the composition layer that corresponds with the footage in my viewport.
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:34:38 pm

Hey Vishesh,

When i select the layer in the viewport it automaticly selects my top layer in the timeline and not one of the (correct) layers underneath. When i press P.T.R.S it only effects my top layer. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks for your reply!

Grtz Ruud

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Dec 13, 2012 at 3:45:59 pm

Try R-clicking (ctrl+click on mac). At the bottom of the menu, choose select > your layer.
The menu only shows the layers present at that frame.

Return to posts index

Ruud van Gerven
on Jan 4, 2013 at 10:37:55 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply! That would be a nice solution, but unfourtunately i've had to pre-compose every layer seperatly because i had to add custom adjustment layers and sfx to almost all the individual video layers. The pre-composed layers are as a big as my timeline, and not as big as the smaller video layers inside each one. I should have trimmed every composition to match the video layer duration but at that time, that seemed as a waste of time :p So now when i select the footage in my viewport, i actually select the transparancy of the top most composition. And when i use your solution now, i see all my layers.

I just finished this project, but for my next project i'm def gonna trim my compositions so that i can use the solutions you and Vishesh proposed. Still a new feature in the next AE would be appreciated. It shouldn't be to hard for adobe to add a feature to select the layer corresponding to the selected pixel in the viewport (ignoring transparency).

Anyways thanks for your help!

Grtz Ruud

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]