ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Key out only white

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Willem ScholtesKey out only white
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:17:19 am

Hey there guys!

I'm in the middle of a animation project here where there is a hand drawing on a white paper. I am trying yo key out the white, but i'm having a hard time with it. I keyed out often greenscreens, but this time we didn't really thought that we would need to key, but we do ;)

I tried the color different key, which is giving me kinda the effect that i'm looking for but still with the ruff edges. Also tried keylight (Which i normally use for greenscreen projects) But for this i didn't really get it to work.

Could you guys please help me out with you great advice?
Thanks in advance!!

P.s. I attached a still from the project so you can see what i am talking about.

5074_schermafbeelding20121213om11.07.33.png.zip

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Key out only white
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 11:11:54 am

Willem

Here is your file that I have keyed out using Color key several times:
5077_keyoutonlywhite.zip

Andrew kramer has used this method in one of his tutorial:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/advanced_car_hit/

Hope this will work.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Willem ScholtesRe: Key out only white
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:28:00 pm

Wow, thanks so much for the effort!

It kinda works, keep having problems with the edges. They are still a little bit ruff. But this technique is a great base to work from.
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Key out only white
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:48:28 pm

Glad I could help

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Key out only white
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 9:33:14 pm

The Color Key effect is almost never the right tool for the job. See the note in the Color Key effect section of After Effects Help, which says to use effects like Keylight for color keying. But white isn't a color; keying out white is best done with a luma key.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Key out only white
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:38:24 pm

Color Difference and Keylight both work along similar principles and they both require that the screen color (the color to key) has large differences in the R, G and B components (hence a Green or Blue screen). White has almost no difference between the RGB components and doesn't work well for color difference keyers.

I'd recommend using Extract (allows you to key based on brightness). Color Range should also work if you use it similarly to Extract (work from the brightness first).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Key out only white
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 9:40:28 pm

I second Darby's recommendation of Extract.

When you feel like rolling your own, you can use the Channel effects to mix whatever pixel values from the source that you want into the alpha channel.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]