ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotating Motion Tile

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli MaineRotating Motion Tile
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:11:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on a project that features a massive "bulletin board" slideshow where the camera/"dolly" moves around on an infinitely large background and pictures/text slide in/out of the frame as if they're attached to the surface of the bulletin board (think: the end credit sequence of "27 Dresses" -- oh, you didn't see that?). In order to make it look a little more realistic, I'm attempting to add some light texture over the background solid that obviously needs to move in sync with the camera/dolly/images -- but because this is a *massive* slideshow, the texture needs to be infinitely big, and that's where my problem begins.

Thus far, the best solution that I've been able to come up with is to use Motion Tile on a texture layer that's centered over my background, and to just synchronize the Tile Center attribute with the Position attribute of my null object "dolly". This works perfectly as long as I'm moving in a straight line, as the texture sticks seamlessly with the images above it.

However, I'd also like to occasionally rotate the "dolly" in order to create curving movement between the images so that they don't all have to be parallel to each other, and unfortunately, the Rotate attribute for Motion Tile only seems to spin the entire texture layer around its Anchor Point -- which, if left in the middle of my frame, doesn't rotate in sync with the "dolly"/images, and if I move the Anchor Point away from the middle of my frame, negates my ability to have an infinitely large texture because the actual layer is then moving rather than just the tile.

Given that somewhat convoluted explanation of my problem, does anybody out there have any solutions to this, e.g. is there a way to rotate the actual tile of a Motion Tile rather than the entire layer (which I *think* would solve the problem, although it's hard to say without trying it and seeing the result)... or is there a better way to solve my initial problem (rather than using Motion Tile altogether) that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks to all who can help!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Rotating Motion Tile
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:48:05 pm

You could try using the Transform effect after the Motion Tile. Link the Anchor Point and Position of the Transform effect to the Tile Center via expressions then use the Rotation of the Transform effect.

The problem with this as far as I can tell is that you'll need a much larger texture than you would otherwise as if the texture rotates around a point near the edge of the texture you'll end up rotating the texture out of view.

What kind of texture are you using?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Eli MaineRe: Rotating Motion Tile
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:27:21 pm

Excellent! That's still not *quite* perfect because if I move the anchor/position too far away from my viewing window, the edge of my Motion Tile runs out -- but with a little bit of finagling with the "dolly" movements/pans to keep the position within 3-4x of my viewer, I think that it should work! Thanks for the help!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved