ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Crazy rendering time.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Bosson
Crazy rendering time.
on Dec 12, 2012 at 3:40:36 pm

Hello all,

Just after a bit of advise here. Im creating an MPEG2 file using Media Encoder dynamically linked to After Effects, the original files are about 45 minutes of .MTS files and 3 animations i created. The MPEG2 is pretty much a preset except for i changed the quality from 4 to 5. So far it has going since 6:30am GMT (about 9 hours) and its only half way done. My computer should be up to the task so I'm pretty sure it can't be that:

iMac 27"
Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Should i cut my losses, start again but play around with the bit rate? Or just wait it out? The MPEG2 was estimated at about 2.8 gig.

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Greg

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Crazy rendering time.
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:15:49 pm

Dynamic link doesn't use Ae's multiprocessing feature, so it can't exploit all your system resources to speed up renders. If you have multiprocessing on, you'll get faster results in most cases rendering from Ae to an intermediate file, then compressing that to MPEG2 in Media Encoder.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Greg Bosson
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:37:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Sorry could you explain what you mean by an 'intermediate file'. Then Ill give that a go.

Greg

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:42:58 pm

I mean render from Ae to a mastering-quality file. You could use the Lossless preset in Ae (though this will give you a pretty big file), or use a lightly-compressing codec like Apple ProRes, Avid DNxHD, or GoPro CineForm. Take this file into Media Encoder for additional compression.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Greg Bosson
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:44:26 pm

Again thank you for the swift reply! I will most certainly try this, sounds like a great idea.

Greg

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:27:00 pm

You can also render from AE- I get very good MPEG2 results.
4 should be good enough- no need for 5.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Greg Bosson
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:42:53 pm

Thanks for the advice! Im not sure why i always upped it from 4 to 5 i just always without thinking about it. I used to render straight from AE however the results were always horrible for me. Thinking about it i never actually burned the MPEG2's to DVD to see how it played on a player/tv, surely it would be better on a DVD player than my computer? I just saw a horribly artefacty grainy mess and deleted. Perhaps this was a mistake?

Greg

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 12, 2012 at 6:45:09 pm

For MPEG-2 and H.264, I recommend using Adobe Media Encoder (AME) for output, not After Effects. AME does a better job for these formats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Dec 12, 2012 at 7:32:40 pm

Todd does your suggestion apply to both QuickTime H.264 and MP4 H.264?

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 12, 2012 at 7:46:51 pm

My suggestion wasn't related to QuickTime H.264---but I would also recommend against using that format unless you have a very good reason for doing so.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]