ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create this look?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Futerman
How to create this look?
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:48:41 am

Hi all :)

I was wondering if you could help me understand which effects were used here to create the following looks in this video:

1. The un-still image. i.e how the video always has a small wiggly movement like a time posterization or something..?
2. The a 'bad tv reception'?
3. How many FPS do you think this video is?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: How to create this look?
on Dec 12, 2012 at 6:20:24 pm

[Daniel Futerman] "1. The un-still image. i.e how the video always has a small wiggly movement like a time posterization or something..?
2. The a 'bad tv reception'?
3. How many FPS do you think this video is?"

1. You could achieve something like this using some combination of Turbulent Displace and Roughen Edges. I'd recommend using an expression on the Evolution of these effects to generate random numbers at regular intervals (this will give it the jittery posterized time look). Something like:

repeat = 1;
seed = time % repeat;
posterizeTime(12);
seedRandom(seed, true);
random(0,360);

Which would give you random values 12 times every second and repeat those values every second (12 random values, repeated every second).

2. I didn't see a real "bad TV reception" look, although I did skip some parts :) It does look like they've overlaid some film grain and emulated some minor film damage. You can do this with similar expressions applied to solids (to modulate the brightness) and textures of film damage set to an overlay/soft light/hard light mode above the footage. Also add some grain.

3. I can't say for sure but I believe that old fashioned hand drawn animation would most commonly be 8-18 frames per second depending on the amount of time available for the production. 12 seems like a good middle ground.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Dec 13, 2012 at 9:31:11 am

Daniel

Here is an example that I have created:

5072_ttimeposterizationeffect.zip

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Daniel Futerman
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:21:45 pm

Hey Darby,
Thanks a lot for your help on this I really appreciate it!

#3 worked perfectly :)I used 12 fps and it's looking good.

#1 still isn't exactly what I'm trying to achieve, it's a little to 'wobbly' if you understand what I mean? I need it to be more steady, but to always have a subtle 'jumpy' look. It's hard to explain, but have a look at the first scene in the example (seconds 12-16~) - you see how the lines are never still and always have a slight motion to them? That's more what I want to create.

And #2 I didn't fully understand You can do this with similar expressions applied to solids (to modulate the brightness). Should I add a Brightness effect to the layer and then apply the expression to it?

Thanks again for your great help!!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:59:41 pm

[Daniel Futerman] "#1 still isn't exactly what I'm trying to achieve, it's a little to 'wobbly' if you understand what I mean? I need it to be more steady, but to always have a subtle 'jumpy' look. It's hard to explain, but have a look at the first scene in the example (seconds 12-16~) - you see how the lines are never still and always have a slight motion to them? That's more what I want to create."

Part of this is a result of me giving you a messed up expression :) The posterizeTime() call has to be first and I missed that in my rush to respond early in the morning, this should be better:

posterizeTime(12);
repeat = 1;
seed = time % repeat;
seedRandom(seed, true);
random(0,360);

Also you'll probably want to use 2 instances of Turbulent Displace on the assets, one with a very large size and low amount and the other with a low size and slightly larger amount.

As for #2 my suggestion would be to add a white solid at the top in the Screen mode and apply a similar expression to its opacity, something like:

posterizeTime(12);
random(-10,5);

This is probably better not repeating every second so I removed that code. I'm setting the random value between -10 and 5 so that approximately 2/3 of the time the white solid's opacity will be below 0% and it will not contribute any color. You could play with those values.

Then add some film damage scratches/fuzz using blend modes, a similar opacity expression and perhaps an expression to move the image to a new random location/orientation as well.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Daniel Futerman
on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:40:38 pm

Fantastic!

Works very nicely! I changed the code just slightly and it really looks good now.
Thank you very much for your help, I truly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]