ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Special Effect and Motion Sketched Null move on same path, but not in same spot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan McClurg
Special Effect and Motion Sketched Null move on same path, but not in same spot
on Dec 12, 2012 at 6:38:44 am

I'm editing on After Effects cs6. First, I will describe two situations, and what I am capable of doing, then I will explain what the core issue is.

First situation: When using "motion tracker," I will "Edit Target" to a null I've titled "Tracker." As you know, this will allow my null to follow the tracked motion and sync with the movement of my video. This much worked.

Second situation: Let's say I have a black canvas, and just paste in a null. I take this null, and draw some motion sketching anywhere I like. Next, I take a Solid. I apply an effect such as "Particular" to this solid. Now if I take the "Position XY" of this Particular, and do a pick whip to the position of my motion sketched Null, the effect will follow the path I sketched. This worked as well.

My issue: I wanted my motion sketched Particular effect to sync with the tracking of the video. I attempted this by first making "Tracker" null my target for motion tracking (1st situation). Next, I motion sketched a 2nd null. I pick whipped this 2nd null to "Tracker," and successfully got the sketch to sync with my video.

HOWEVER, once I tried syncing a Particular effect with the path of my motion sketch (2nd situation), I found this happening: my Particular effect was indeed following the path of my motion sketched null, but it was displayed in the top left corner of my screen, WAY OFF from where my motion sketch was actually placed. So the motion sketched null and the Particular effect were both following the same path, but not in the same spot.

My question: How do I sync my effect to move exactly where I want it (with a motion sketch), and still get it to track with my video? I know this is difficult to describe without directly showing it in person, but I hope this is a simple issue that has a simple answer with it.

Thank you so much for anyone willing/able to help.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Special Effect and Motion Sketched Null move on same path, but not in same spot
on Dec 12, 2012 at 10:01:45 am

Bryan

I believe that you have attached the Position Parameter of Particular Layer to the Null. You have to Pick-whip the Position XY parameter of Particular effect from the Effects and Control Panel to the Null.

Hope this will solve the problem.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Bryan McClurg
Re: Special Effect and Motion Sketched Null move on same path, but not in same spot
on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:23:00 pm

Vishesh

As described in my first post, I already pick-whipped the Position XY parameter of my Particular effect to the motion sketched Null. When I do this, my Particular moves on the same path as my sketch, and everything works fine.

My problem is, I then pick-whip my motion sketched Null to the Tracker Null, in order to get my Particular to move with the video. When I attempt this, my Particular is moving on the correct sketch path, but now appears way off from where I want it. I don't know what causes the position of my Particular to change.

Return to posts index

Bryan McClurg
on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:58:48 pm

UPDATE: I found the solution.

For those interested, once the Position XY parameter of the Particular effect is pick-whipped to the motion sketched Null (so that it moves on that path), do NOT pick-whip the motion sketched Null to the Tracker Null. Instead, pick-whipping the Solid [that has the Particular effect] to the Tracker Null does the trick, and everything is aligned.

But thank you Vishesh for the input!

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Dec 13, 2012 at 6:55:55 am

Bryan

Glad that you solved your problem

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved