ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Chroma/color key?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerel Limayo
Chroma/color key?
on Dec 11, 2012 at 3:06:48 am

I'll be shooting a cube with six sides, I already have Red, Green and Blue on the 3 other sides, now for the next three sides, what colors should I use that won't affect the first three colors? Thanks in advanced!

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
Re: Chroma/color key?
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:28:51 am

Any color that isnt red green or blue.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:51:29 am

[Jerel Limayo] "I'll be shooting a cube with six sides, I already have Red, Green and Blue on the 3 other sides, now for the next three sides, what colors should I use that won't affect the first three colors? Thanks in advanced!"

What are you shooting the cube against? What are you planning on doing with the cube? Why do you need multiple colors?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jerel Limayo
on Dec 11, 2012 at 5:09:49 am

I'll be shooting the cube against a black background, I'll be throwing the cube so that it would make a rolling cube action and stop on a certain point, I need multiple colors because I need to show different footages on each side of the cube, that's my problem right now

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:35:52 pm

[Jerel Limayo] "I need multiple colors because I need to show different footages on each side of the cube,"

The color will allow you to key the side of the cube, but how are you planning to get the footage tracked to the cube? I'd recommend doing a couple of tests of different set ups to see what gets you there easiest.

For example, have you considered filming the cube, creating a camera in AE that roughly matches your source camera, creating a 3D cube in AE and animating it to follow the real world path of the cube?

Have you looked at putting tracker markers on the cube and attempting to get a clean track in Mocha or AE?

Both of the above methods would not necessarily require any keying as the footage will simply be tracked on top of the cube. As a matter of fact you could use an 18% gray cube in your real shoot and lay the footage on top in a Hard Light blend mode to preserve the real-world lighting/shadows.

Each method you look at for doing this may have some strong and weak points. It's up to you to figure out which best line up with the problem you have to solve and your skill set. I'd recommend looking at the options instead of immediately restricting yourself to keying.

No matter what method you choose you'll probably want to use a fast shutter speed on your camera to minimize motion blur (which plays havoc with keying and tracking).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jerel Limayo
on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:01:28 am

Alright! Thanks, I'l try these and do some tests on which would be the best method.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]