ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Nested pre comps not showing up when exporting.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg BossonNested pre comps not showing up when exporting.
by on Dec 10, 2012 at 5:38:18 pm

Hello all.

Im sure there is a simple answer to this but its been driving me insane. Ok so here it is...

I shot some footage using three cameras. I created 3 compositions, one for each cam so i could have different adjustment layers over each without them effecting each other (as each cam needed to be coloured etc slightly differently). I then nested the second and third into the first composition.

However, when i exported all this through media encoder the nested footage was missing. There was just a blank screen. The footage was there when i checked the output preview in media encoder which makes it even more frustrating.

I only realised this when i went to burn the afore mentioned footage in Encore. I have absolutely no idea what to do! Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Kind regards,

Greg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Nested pre comps not showing up when exporting.
by on Dec 10, 2012 at 9:03:08 pm

The most common explanation would be simple operator error. There are a couple of ways to make nested comps, and if you get carried away trimming in and out points, you could make trouble for yourself.

I'd drag each clip onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window, and then I'd paste the appropriate adjustment layer into the newly-created comp. Then put all the new comps into a master comp.

But unless there's an overwhelming reason to use an adjustment layer, why not apply the effects to the clips themselves, keeping everything in a single comp? This would work if you have only one very long clip with a few shots in it. You could split the clip at the cuts and apply the appropriate effects with their particular effect settings.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg BossonRe: Nested pre comps not showing up when exporting.
by on Dec 10, 2012 at 9:27:15 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the quick reply. Hmm good idea about the master comp, ill give that a go. I usually would do things the way you suggested, keeping everything in a single comp and applying effects individually, however in this footage there about about 200+ cuts to the 3 cameras, so Im trying to make a more efficient workflow. Though to be honest if id have done it that way in the first place it would have been done by now. Anyway ill give your suggestion a go and let you know if it works. Thanks again!

Greg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Nested pre comps not showing up when exporting.
by on Dec 10, 2012 at 9:47:10 pm

200 clips shot among 3 cameras, huh? Try this: select each camera's clips, drag them onto the Make Comp icon (make one comp, not individual ones), paste in the adjustment layer, and you're done. Render three different comps, one for each camera.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg BossonRe: Nested pre comps not showing up when exporting.
by on Dec 10, 2012 at 10:21:45 pm

Yeah it was for a wedding ceremony that went on for quite some time, two un manned cameras and one manned. I split the clips up and jumped between the three in premiere to stop things from becoming stale.
Your first idea worked! All it needed was a 'master' comp to nest the pre comps in. Thank you very much indeed. Happy holidays!

Greg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]