ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shatter Effect with text in the flying pieces

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur SvendsenShatter Effect with text in the flying pieces
by on Dec 9, 2012 at 12:31:29 am

Hi guys!

So, I need to make a comp that should like a piece o glass breaking in many pieces (just like the shatter effect), but the tricky part is that it is needed to put a text in one of the flying pieces. And when the glass breaks, this piece of the shattered glass fly in to the screen.

I`m a beginner in AE, and I just know the basics stuff. Can anyone please help me out? My deadline it`s in 2 moths.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Shatter Effect with text in the flying pieces
by on Dec 9, 2012 at 1:35:04 pm

Let me make sure I understand what you are trying to do. You have a layer and it shatters, the pieces come flying towards the camera and then what? Does one piece stop and it has text on it that appears after the layer shattered or did that piece always have text on it?

Check out this tutorial on Custom Shatter Maps. Regardless of how the text appears on the pieces, you will probably need to make a custom map.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Arthur SvendsenRe: Shatter Effect with text in the flying pieces
by on Dec 9, 2012 at 2:28:59 pm

Yes!It`s exactly what I need to do. Actually, the comp should look like a glass shattering and the pieces go towards the camera and one piece has a logo on it. And this piece stops in front of the camera.

I saw that tutorial and helps a lot, thanks!

But I still have some questions, they are:

1) how can I make sure that one specific piece of glass with my logo on it goes to the front of the camera?

2)My logo it is already a piece of shattered glass, and it has the reflection lighting already set it. How can I adjust the reflection of the other pieces?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2012 at 1:09:43 pm

1) how can I make sure that one specific piece of glass with my logo on it goes to the front of the camera?

I would shatter the logo and work on the getting one piece to stop where you need it to first. Try adjusting the gravity and rotation speed to get the piece framed correctly, then adjust the viscosity to get it to stop where you need. You could also use time remapping. From there I would work backwards to determine which piece is stopped center frame and just figure out where it originated from, that's where you want your logo. Now you can precomp the shatter layer, but "Leave all attributes" in the main comp. Open the precomp and place your logo in the spot it needs to be.

2)My logo it is already a piece of shattered glass, and it has the reflection lighting already set it. How can I adjust the reflection of the other pieces?

There are some lighting parameters you can adjust in shatter to produce specular highlights, but the pieces won't reflect off each other. I

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Arthur SvendsenRe: Shatter Effect with text in the flying pieces
by on Dec 11, 2012 at 9:01:07 pm

Thanks John, you have been very helpful!but I still have some doubts....

Fist, about the custom shatter maps: Is it better to do the customs shatter pieces in After Effects (using different masks) or do it on Photoshop? Because I really enjoyed the standard shattering of AE, all I need to chance is the shape of the piece that will contain the logo.

Second, what should I do to make the logo ``follow`` the shattered piece? just like the logo was written on this piece.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2012 at 5:49:58 am

Fist, about the custom shatter maps: Is it better to do the customs shatter pieces in After Effects (using different masks) or do it on Photoshop? Because I really enjoyed the standard shattering of AE, all I need to chance is the shape of the piece that will contain the logo.

Doesn't matter, the most important part is that you create the maps with different colors.

Second, what should I do to make the logo ``follow`` the shattered piece? just like the logo was written on this piece.

You would build your logo and layer to be shattered in a precomp. Nest that in your final comp and apply shatter...IE Create the logo and layer to be shattered, select both layers and press "shift+cntl+c" this takes both layers and moves them into their own composition. Now take this mixed down layer and apply the shatter effect. If you need to make adjustments, you can just open up the precomp and move the logo around until you get the effect you need.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]