ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adobe Dynamic Link cs6 Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan EstabrooksAdobe Dynamic Link cs6 Workflow
by on Dec 8, 2012 at 5:19:16 am

Is there a way to set the resolution or draft level on an AE comp imported into premiere?

for instance... I have a tittle sequence I've created in AE... it's relatively processor heavy with ray-traced extruded fonts and 3d environment layers and reflections and all that jazz....

when I'm working in AE I usually have the ray-traced engine set to 1 (draft) and the comp level to 1/4 for speed and smoothness...

all good... but when I import these ae comp titles into Premiere as a dynamic link comp.... it seems to automatically kick the draft level and resolution up to the finished level....and even if the resolution is turned down in Premiere the AE comp is turned way up....

This would all be great if my Premiere cut was ready to go, but I'm trying to shave frames here and there to get the different tittles within a montage....

so it would be really helpful to be able to turn down the settings on the linked ae comp within premiere while I'm still drafting where to put them in Premiere....

I'm guessing I'm just missing a menu somewhere?

Thanks in advance, for any help

nate

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Adobe Dynamic Link cs6 Workflow
by on Dec 8, 2012 at 5:39:23 pm

I dont think you can,BUT I have an alternative workflow that will get you to the same place.

After tweaking your AE project export it as a movie in your desired codec. Make sure the Project Link box is checked.

Then import it into Prp and right click on the clip that has the Dynamic Link to AE, and use Replace this clip ..."

Your movie will replace the clip AND when you need to change anything, just right click and select Edit Original.This will automatically open that AE project.

You see, in order to play most complex AE DL clips in the PrP you need to render them anyway which createss just a temporary preview file AND rendering in PrP is not as fast as in AE.

I know this seems to go against the DL concept, but I switched to using it and it works great.

Heres a little piece I just completed using this work flow.It uses AE and Element for Video Copilot for integrating 3D models into AE projects.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Nathan EstabrooksRe: Adobe Dynamic Link cs6 Workflow
by on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:58:44 pm

Thanks for the help and response. It's saving me tons of time, and I'm able to do some work on a laptop... Loads of thanks!

I have a slight snag but I'm hoping there's a way around it... total newb question, but is there any way to force transparency on rendered output? One of the reason's I was using the DL workflow is because I needed to layer multiple AE comps within Prp in order to sandbox a final montage... but if I go the render and replace route the output background is opaque and therefore I can't tell whats underneath my output in Prp...

Nate

Return to posts index

by on Dec 11, 2012 at 6:07:10 pm

In order to have transparency when exporting...

1. Select RGB + Alpha in the Render Queue Options under the Output module

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Nathan EstabrooksRe: Adobe Dynamic Link cs6 Workflow
by on Dec 11, 2012 at 6:14:41 pm

Oh man, so great.

Thanks a million for all the help Tom. I can't tell ya how much I appreciate it.

Nate

Return to posts index

by on Dec 11, 2012 at 6:15:39 pm

Glad to help out. Happy editing!

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid