ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advice need: Workflow between Premiere & AE and Exporting linked compositions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alastair MooreAdvice need: Workflow between Premiere & AE and Exporting linked compositions
by on Dec 7, 2012 at 1:02:51 pm

Hi all

I have a pretty complicated motion graphics composition in my After Effects project, made up of multiple comps, precomps, animations, etc. All running very smoothly there, no problems (fingers crossed!)

I have a pretty simple (and potentially dim) question to do with workflow from here on out. I have previously linked some much simpler After Effects compositions to Premiere with much success (video with basic Twixtor applied). When i was happy I simply exported my sequence out to my final delivery format (Quicktime H264 & MP4 H264 etc), linked compositions and all. No rendering out of After Effects needed.

So, my question (finally!): Is there any difference in quality/time when exporting a linked composition out of Premiere vs exporting an uncompressed .MOV (or similar) out of the render queue and then importing that into Premiere?

In this case I will need to go into Premiere as I'm adding quite a few audio jingles and music tracks to the animation.

My apologies for posting a new thread on a much-discussed issue but I simply could not find an answer to this simple question anywhere!

Thanks in advance!

Al

(Macbook Pro Retina, Adobe CS6)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Advice need: Workflow between Premiere & AE and Exporting linked compositions
by on Dec 7, 2012 at 2:34:03 pm

[Alastair Moore] "Is there any difference in quality/time when exporting a linked composition out of Premiere vs exporting an uncompressed .MOV (or similar) out of the render queue and then importing that into Premiere?"

I'll discuss quality first. If by uncompressed you mean lossless (QuickTime Animation 100%, QuickTime PNG, AVI None), and if your output format supports the bit depth of your project (8b for QT/Animation or AVI/None, 16b for QT/PNG) then no, there is no difference in quality.

If you mean uncompressed like an AJA or BMD 8b or 10b YUV 422 codec, then yes, there will be a (slight) quality difference due to the chroma subsampling.

Now on to time. Ae can use multiprocessing (if you have multiple CPU cores and enough RAM) to render multiple frames at the same time. This is enabled for previews and rendering in the app, but disabled via dynamic link. With dynamic link, each frame is rendered by a single process in Ae, one at a time, as Pr requests them.

For simple comps, that's fine, and for cached comps (CS6), that's fine, but for complex comps or comps that aren't cached, I like to render from Ae and import. Make sure that "Include project link" is checked in the output module's settings, and then you should be able to right-click the clip in your Premiere timeline and choose "Edit original" to open up the AEP project.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alastair MooreRe: Advice need: Workflow between Premiere & AE and Exporting linked compositions
by on Dec 7, 2012 at 6:59:26 pm

Thanks Walter

That's some really useful information. By uncompressed I did indeed mean lossless, specifically outputting a Quicktime Animation.

Most useful to know that the multicore rendering is disabled via dynamic link, which would indeed impact on the time. I am using CS6, but even so I think I will simply export lossless out of AE and import into Premier.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]