ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is AE capable of doing a frame rate conversion AND keeping the audio in sync?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Paredes
Is AE capable of doing a frame rate conversion AND keeping the audio in sync?
on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:24:54 pm

Dear friends,

I have taken delivery of a 23 min demo reel comprised of several trailers. The job at hand is to separate each trailer, do some color corrections where necessary etc.. and ultimately upload each separately to Vimeo. This 23 min quicktime was digitized from a Digital Betacam Tape as:

- 8 bit Uncompressed 422
- 720x486
- Anamorphic
- Audio is 48khz, 24 bit Stereo

In addition to what I mentioned above, I have to upscale to 1920x1080 (so it plays like HD in Vimeo) as well as change the frame rate to 30 fps because Vimeo doesn't accept 29.97.

The first thing I tried was to scale up and change the frame rate the entire 23 min video in FCP but that gave me a poor result (jagged edges).

I then tried upscaling in AE and it looks awesome BUT the audio drifts out of sync in a progressive fashion. Meaning half way through it's about 0.5 sec off and by the end it's about a full second late.

Specifically the way I did it in AE was to interpret the footage and conform it to 30 FPS, Lower Field First and Preserve Edges.

Any ideas why AE is not keeping the audio in sync?
Any suggestions or workaround you folks have used?

Thanks!

Xavier

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Is AE capable of doing a frame rate conversion AND keeping the audio in sync?
on Dec 6, 2012 at 11:29:46 pm

Time Stretch preserves audio synch but modifies pitch. That's fine for a conversion from 29.97 to 30.0, since the pitch change is very slight.

Details are here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS454D5810-8F40-4d0c-AD59...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Is AE capable of doing a frame rate conversion AND keeping the audio in sync?
on Dec 7, 2012 at 2:33:52 pm

Export first the audio from the original file as a wav or aiff, convert the frame rate for the video and then bring the converted video and the audio file in a 30fps comp and render together. This should work without any issues.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]