ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pixel ratio for D1/DV PAL

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Camacho GuerreroPixel ratio for D1/DV PAL
by on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:07:37 am

Hello everyone,

I got an issue understanding the right workflow of how creating output for TV. My broadcast company is working on D1/DV PAL ( 720x756 frame size / 25 frames for frame rate / 1.0940 pixel ratio / 4:3)

If I work on a comp from After effects using the preset D1/DV Pal with 1.0940 pixel ratio, when it previews of TV all pixels are wider ( i am doing an animation for a square and the square looks like a rectangle ).

The last workflow in the company ( which I think is quite slow) , they did this :

1 - Working in a 1024x576 with Square Pixels ( 1.00)

2 - Bring the former comp in another comp called RENDER THIS on 720x576 with Square pixels too and scale down the comp from step 1

3 - Render the videos and stretch in post using the preset PAL D1/DV Widescreen ( 720 x576 / Lock Aspect Ratio to 5:4 ( 1.25))

4 - Import in Premiere in a Pal D1/DV and export to Tape.

Because I want to work using Adobe Dynamic links, I want to avoid any useless render, and besides, it takes a lot of time.

Any other way around??

Many thanks!!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Pixel ratio for D1/DV PAL
by on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:38:45 am

You should be able to use the PAL preset Adobe has set up in After Effects.In the workflow you described you start in step 1. with a wide screen SD PAL format (although Adobe uses 1050x576 instead of 1024x576) with square par then in step 2. you mention scaling down the comp in a 720x576 square par- if that is the case you are squeezing the widescreen frame in a 4:3 frame and then in step 3. you are stretching it again...?! it's a weird workflow. Then the station format you mentioned in the beginning is 4:3... So do you need a widescreen or a 4:3 final product?
If you do all your work in AE using the PAL preset for 4:3 you should get exactly what you need.
For correct preview in AE click the Toggle Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction button at the bottom of the Composition panel.
More info here:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho GuerreroRe: Pixel ratio for D1/DV PAL
by on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:20:31 pm

Hi Ted,

thanks a lot, well I am still confused about the reply the IT dept is giving me. They say our format is 4:3 Anamorphic which has a behavoir of 16:9 , kind of like Widescreen ( they broadcast for widescreen and 4:3 at the same time , he said). This does not make too much sense to me. I am trying to get a reply from another guy and seeing what this is all about.

One thing I know for sure, is the final output in Premiere is the presets for D1/DV Pal which means 720x576 and 1.09 pixel ratio.

What i did was working in AE with a PAl D1/Dv preset with 1.09 pixel ratio, and toggling the pixel ratio correction button to preview how should be in the monitor.

Importing in Premiere as Dynamic Links, sometimes I need to interpret the footage coming from AE to Square pixel again in order to look a circle as a circle and not as a oval.

i am not sure if this makes any sense, because I am still struggling to understand what is going on.

I will confirm you exactly what the others engineers say.

What do you think??

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Pixel ratio for D1/DV PAL
by on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:54:46 pm

I have heard of tv stations that broadcast a signal that uses a widescreen and another that crops the widescreen to a 4:3. In those situations I provided a PAL SD Widescreen par file.
Anyway, whatever the format you should be able to work with the same preset in an Adobe workflow using Dynamic Link.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved