ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting HTML5 videos

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver de Morassé
Exporting HTML5 videos
on Dec 5, 2012 at 6:27:20 pm

What's the best way of rendering a .webm or .ogg video in AE?

In my output module settings I can select format H.264 to produce a .mp4 video - however, what do I need to select to create a .webm or .ogg?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exporting HTML5 videos
on Dec 5, 2012 at 6:34:27 pm

You need a transcoding application that can create those kinds of files. I don't think anything in Adobe Creative Suite can do it.
This may help:
http://aeportal.blogspot.com/2011/02/encoding-to-webm-first-pass.html

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:52:18 pm

Dave is correct.

Also, if you do go with H.264, export out of Adobe Media Encoder, not After Effects. The Adobe Media Encoder H.264 exporter is much better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Oliver de Morassé
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:58:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry, never heard of Adobe Media Converter. I am using AE CS5 on a Windows 7 64-bit PC - which should I be installing (link)?

What do you mean - export out of Adobe Media Converter? Can I import my AE.aep and export a composition?

Update: Sorry, just seen that I have Adobe Media Encoder already installed on my system! Will play

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 5, 2012 at 8:13:17 pm

Here's question: do you seek to preserve as much image quality as possible?

If the answer is no, please proceed down your intended path.

If the answer is yes, I would make a lossless quicktime movie (PNG codec) or a lossless AVI. Both will work in the application linked to elsewhere in this thread.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Oliver de Morassé
on Dec 5, 2012 at 8:25:14 pm

I would like to create the best possible quality videos for the web - but they need to be small.

At the momen, for a .flv video 250x500 (RGB + Alpha channels), I use the On2 VP6 Codec, VBR & a bitrate of 375kbps with audio at 80kbps.

Return to posts index

Oliver de Morassé
on Dec 5, 2012 at 8:28:25 pm

@Tod. Yes, having 'played' with Encoder I see that I can import my AE project, select the composition to export etc.

You say that the H.264 exporter is much better in Adobe Media Encoder - what do you mean? Are you saying that I should use Encoder to create my .mp4 rather than rendering in AE? What about rendering .flv files? Finally, in Encoder I haven't found how to export to .webm or .ogg - which format should I be selecting?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 5, 2012 at 8:42:05 pm

> what do you mean? Are you saying that I should use Encoder to create my .mp4 rather than rendering in AE? What about rendering .flv files?

I mean exactly what I said: Output of these formats from Adobe Media Encoder is better than output of these formats from After Effects. Yes, that goes for .flv files, too.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Oliver de Morassé
on Dec 5, 2012 at 8:58:58 pm

Sorry to sound naive Tod - but I am new to Encoder. Better in terms of the quality of the final video (even with all settings the same?), rendering time, processing or ??? Thanks for the clafication.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:59:58 pm

Oliver

Have a link at : http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:00:16 pm

All of the above. It's better. Use it.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Oliver de Morassé
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:14:22 pm

OK - will do.

I am trying to create the best quality web videos (with transparency) at the smallest file size. Have you any suggestions regarding settings: bitrate encoding (CBR, VBR), Encoding passes (one/two), bitrate (kbps) - or any other settings/tips.

Thanks for your great help.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:16:03 pm

Use the encoding presets built into Adobe Media Encoder for whatever web video service you're targeting (e.g., Vimeo, YouTube).

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Oliver de Morassé
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:21:41 pm

We wish to produce video spokespersons - videos with transparent backgrounds giving the appearence that the spokespersons are 'on top' of the website with the content shinning through - for integration into existing websites. We do not use existing services such as youtube etc.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:41:51 pm

If you need an alpha channel (transparency) for web video, then you need to use FLV with the On2 VP6 codec. H.264 doesn't do alpha channels.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Shane Taylor
on May 8, 2013 at 9:10:29 am

So, I am curious, why doesn't AME and Pr and Ae use the same encoders. Wouldn't that make sense that since all three programs can do encoding, that they would share the code base. I may be missing something here, but wouldn't that just make sense from a SW development concept?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 9, 2013 at 10:55:41 pm

Premiere Pro does use the same encoders as Adobe Media Encoder. In fact, the correct way to say this is that Premiere Pro uses Adobe Media Encoder for all exports.

After Effects is moving toward doing the same.

After Effects CC (12.0) has deprecated some of its exporters to use Adobe Media Encoder, as described here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-effects...

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]