ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Corner pin tracking, blurring footage solution?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerCorner pin tracking, blurring footage solution?
by on Dec 5, 2012 at 6:09:04 pm

I'm still having issues with Mocha (CS6) and importing tracking data that doesn't crop my image and create a vingette.

But that aside, in the meantime I decided to apply a corner pin effect to the footage anyway and just play around with a few settings, but the image is really blurred when I zoom in (to full screen).

This is what I am trying to do:

I have a video card which I am tracking the black video screen. I then have another clip which I am wanting to insert in the video screen (to make it look like it is playing within the cards video screen). On the shoot, I slowly zoomed out of the card which is then picked up by someone out of shot. Hence the need for tracking data.

I want the inserted video clip to be full screen, so you cannot see it in the card, then a quick zoom in AE to where the camera zoom takes over slowly revealing the rest of the card until it is picked up out of shot.

The trouble is, when I apply the corner pin effect to the insert footage, keyframe it to follow the black video screen and use a 3D camera rig to zoom into the insert footage, it is really blurry. Which shouldn't be the case as I'm not blowing it up beyond 1920x1080.

Does the distort corner pin effect have a bearing on quality?

An alternative is to have the insert footage playing full screen without any effects and then at the point I want to do a zoom out to the card, I then match frames. This way it doesn't matter if the insert card footage is a little blurry for that one frame until I stop AE zoom and Camera takes over as you'd expect motion blur with a quick zoom, but this is a bit of a pain to do this way!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Corner pin tracking, blurring footage solution?
by on Dec 5, 2012 at 10:11:20 pm

Precompose the footage and apply the corner pin to the precomp. Make sure you have Preserve Resolution When Nested checked in the Comp settings.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved