ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Decimal digits identifier in AE for Windows and Mac. Comma or dot, that is the question.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriele Bartoli
Decimal digits identifier in AE for Windows and Mac. Comma or dot, that is the question.
on Dec 5, 2012 at 5:48:16 pm

Hello everyone,

so, here is the deal: for some reason which escapes me, AE for windows uses "," to identify decimal values, while AE for Mac uses ".": this is already something weird in itself, especially on the Windows side of the business, given that "," is a very common tool when working with expressions and using "." for decimals seems the best option among the two. There is one more reason why this thing is driving me nuts, on top of having to switch OSs often and therefore messing up my inputs every time: I love to use the numPad to input values, and on windows it has a ".", and on Mac it has a "," - exactly the opposite of what would be needed to input values with decimal positions.
So, aside from ranting, I have a question: is there a way to change AE behaviour, so that for example I could use "." on Windows to input decimals?

Thanks a lot!

G.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Decimal digits identifier in AE for Windows and Mac. Comma or dot, that is the question.
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:54:55 pm

That is a locale setting. What locale are you running your OS in? What locale are you running After Effects in?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Gabriele Bartoli
Re: Decimal digits identifier in AE for Windows and Mac. Comma or dot, that is the question.
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:24:54 am

Hi, thanks for the tip.
It is indeed given by the OS, which on my Windows machine has its settings on "Italian", even though I run everything in English (OS and applications, AE included). I tried to change the settings for decimals to ".", and AE followed suit (as well as other apps I checked).
I also noticed that even if it is set to use "," as a decimal, when I input values in the expression field I must use ".", otherwise is going to give me an error. So a position array of 10,5 on X and 20,5 Y would have to be written this way:
[10.5, 20.5]

So, my final question: is there a way to set AE to work with different standards, so that I can have "." even without changing the locality settings on my machine? If not, is there a way to remap my numPad "." to a ","?

Thanks a lot, at least now I know what the heck is happening!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]