ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Simplest method of converting 23.976 to 29.97

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton Whitaker
Simplest method of converting 23.976 to 29.97
on Dec 5, 2012 at 3:31:36 am

Hi guys,

I've been reading previous post on the topic, none of which seem to really address the issue I'm having. I have a fully edited music video rendered as a 720p 23.976 file that I need to convert to 29.97. I have Twixtor and I am familiar with the Timewarp effect in AE, but my issue is that at every edit point the image distorts as AE tries to blend the 2 frames. I'm sure that this is not an uncommon task. Does anyone have a viable solution to preserve the quality of the image without re-editing the entire video?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

--
MJ Whitaker
Motion Designer / Visual FX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Simplest method of converting 23.976 to 29.97
on Dec 5, 2012 at 3:47:21 am

[Milton Whitaker] "I've been reading previous post on the topic, none of which seem to really address the issue I'm having. I have a fully edited music video rendered as a 720p 23.976 file that I need to convert to 29.97. I have Twixtor and I am familiar with the Timewarp effect in AE, but my issue is that at every edit point the image distorts as AE tries to blend the 2 frames. I'm sure that this is not an uncommon task. Does anyone have a viable solution to preserve the quality of the image without re-editing the entire video?"

Typically, one does not use any kind of interpolation to go from 23.976p to 29.97i -- you add pulldown [link].

See Introduce pulldown [link] in the Ae docs.

If you really want to use Twixtor for this (and you probably don't really want to use Twixtor for this), see this tutorial on marking edit points:

http://library.creativecow.net/freitag_lori/twixtor-mark-segments/1

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Milton Whitaker
on Dec 5, 2012 at 3:57:45 am

Indeed. I actually already rendered a 29.97 file with pulldown but when I imported it into Premiere to check it, I still found the repeating frames. Is that what should happen?

--
MJ Whitaker
Motion Designer / Visual FX Artist

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:59:50 am

[Milton Whitaker] "I actually already rendered a 29.97 file with pulldown but when I imported it into Premiere to check it, I still found the repeating frames."

Yes this is the way it works :-) The problems you might encounter really depend on the type of footage you are working with: pan and quick motion might be the most difficult conversions with pulldown.

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:09:07 pm

[Milton Whitaker] "...when I imported it into Premiere to check it, I still found the repeating frames. Is that what should happen?"

Yes, the technique you employed works precisely that way.

If your goal is 29.97 discrete, different frames each second, you should use Twixtor. Because of Twixtor's many settings and all those compbinations, it's impossible to give advice on which will work best in your case.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:33:53 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "If your goal is 29.97 discrete, different frames each second, you should use Twixtor. Because of Twixtor's many settings and all those compbinations, it's impossible to give advice on which will work best in your case."

Building on Dave's advice, Twixtor is great, and the folks at RE:Vision Effects are a bunch of geniuses -- but they are not magicians. Not all footage is easily automatically Twixtored. Your interpolated 29.97 frames per second will not be as clean as your original 23.976 frames per second was.

The best results come with some manual intervention. Twixtor Pro allows you to guide the motion estimation with points and splines, as well as provide separate mattes from roto for background and foreground elements that need to be considered separately.

Can we talk about what your next step in the workflow is, so we can provide some better advice about the merits of pulldown vs. interpolation?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

j.r. Bey
on Dec 5, 2012 at 5:48:09 am

Do you have Final Cut Pro? How about converting your footage using cinema tools? I may be wrong but I assume you could import your 23.97 Quicktime and convert it pretty easily?

I use twixtor alot in my music videos and I always shoot at 60fps so I can get smooth slow mo. I use Cinema tools to convert my 60 fdp source to 23.97 and then adjust the speed of the clip in FCP to usually about 250% to get the normal frame rate.If I want the shot to be slo-mo I keep it at 100%

I believe Twixtor is best applied during your editing process where you have full control over your image.Also When I decide to apply Twixtor. I move a copy of the clip to a separate sequence as it may screw with the timeline.

Chief Creative Officer
Painted Black Visuals

iMac * Intel Core i3 * 3.06 GHz * ATI Radeon 4670* 4670 FCP 7 * AE CS5 * C4D R12 *

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Dec 5, 2012 at 8:02:23 am

Milton

Check these links:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/videos/getting-started/item/89/

http://www.videocopilot.net/presets/frame_rate_converter/

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog: