ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting QT quality h.264 out of Windows AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Newton
Getting QT quality h.264 out of Windows AE
on Dec 3, 2012 at 2:15:58 pm

I use AE 5.0 in Win7(64), and I deliver a lot of graphics to clients who request h.264. The H.264 native output out of AE creates a .MP4 file. This .MP4 file seems to play just ok on Windows machines and some Final Cut editors complain they can't import them.

If I instead output the graphic using the QT Animation codec (huge file) and then open that file in QT Pro and export it out of QT Pro as a H.264 file, it produces a .mov file that plays fine on Win and OSX and in FCP. Only problem is that requires 2 steps.

My question is,is there a way to output those QT level h.264 .mov files directly out of AE, instead of the native h.264 .mp4 files that no one seems to like? I'm happy to buy a plugin for this if it can save that second step.

Robert N.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Getting QT quality h.264 out of Windows AE
on Dec 3, 2012 at 2:23:57 pm

Robert

In Output Module Settings, Choose QuickTime as Format and H.264 as Format Option in Video Output.

This will create a .mov file with video codec H.264.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 3, 2012 at 5:45:14 pm

I hope you're aware that H.264 -- no matter the media container -- is a lossy codec. You DO lose image quality by compressing to it. If your clients don't care, fine, but you should know it.

You should also know that Adobe Media Encoder is better to use when making H.264 files: it's capable of multipass encoding where AE is not. You can open AE comps in AME to do this.

The file sizes tend to be smaller than those made in AE, and it's a much faster process as well.

But it's still lossy.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:19:22 pm

Do not use the H.264 output directly from After Effects. Go through Adobe Media Encoder instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Robert Newton
on Dec 3, 2012 at 8:22:36 pm

Excellent. Thanks for all this advice, guys. Yes, Dave, I know h.264 is lossy, but the .h.264 are just for review copies to be attached to emails. We use Animation codec (or sometimes Jpeg2000) for finals.

I haven't used AME before, but I'm about to download it.

Robert

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 4, 2012 at 3:45:31 pm

I don't know if anyone ever got around to answering your original question.

I too make H.264's for approval, and I don't use mp4 wrappers. I make quicktime movies in H.264. Nobody seems to have a problem with them so far.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]