ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

iMac 2012 for Motion Graphics

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
estelle caswelliMac 2012 for Motion Graphics
by on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:54:08 am

I'm looking to purchase the new iMac and am currently working in motion graphics/video editing. I would need this primarily to work from outside of the office. When it comes to understanding graphics card/processing capabilities, I'm in the dark.

Could you help me better understand the possible performance issues of the computer?

I would be running After Effects / FCP 7 / possibly C4D

Here are specs for the iMac I would be getting.

27" iMac
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA Drive

Is this sufficient to run the programs I mentioned? I did not get the fusion drive for monetary reasons...would it be worth the investment after all of this?

Return to posts index

Gates BradleyRe: iMac 2012 for Motion Graphics
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 12:31:17 am

Likewise I'm interested in knowing the same. Though I would be maxing out my RAM. I realize Apple is really fallen out of favor when it comes to professional machines, but I love the stability and workflow of OSX. I'm really just looking for something that will allow me to work in AE without frames taking 1 sec or more to calculate, slowing me down tremendously.

I thought i had that problem solved with my OpenCL/Mercury compatible Mid-2011 17" Macbook Pro, but working on it still feels much the same as things always have for the past 6 or so years (even with 16GB RAM), which is extremely frustrating (maybe I just over-estimated the power of even a high-end laptop for graphics work).

Anyway, deciding between new iMac and hackintosh. Whichever route I went would cost roughly the same (because I'd need a 2nd monitor). It seems like performance vs. stability. Just want to know if I can have my stability (iMac) and still expect a good level of professional performance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved