ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

What Mac should i buy?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny HarrisWhat Mac should i buy?
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 4:01:41 pm

I don't know much about how RAM, video card and processor speed affect performance for AE and Premiere. I am looking into buying a new Mac (maybe a laptop maybe an iMac). I want to spend under $2,000 so I am not looking into a tower. Is 8GB RAM and a 3.2 GHz enough to let everything run smoothly? What component should be prioritized here?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: What Mac should i buy?
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 5:35:40 pm

You need a balanced system -- prioritizing one subsystem at the expense of others will not benefit you. For example, the fastest CPU in the world won't work well if you don't have enough RAM.

I think the easiest (and cheapest) bottleneck to overcome is RAM, and which both Ae and Pr will put to excellent use. I'd look at a minimum of 16 GB of RAM for Pr in general, and for Ae use on a quad-core system.

The graphics card matters a great deal to acceleration of specific operations and effects in Pr. See the tech specs [link] for the list of approved GPUs. (Some people are using non-approved cards with good results, but I'm not sure if that includes the current iMac.)

The new iMac's GPU looks promising, but the machine hasn't been released, tested, or qualified yet.

Ae uses NVIDIA GPUs with CUDA for accelerating the new ray-tracing renderer. CPU-only mode still works with all the same functionality, but much less speed. If you're using the classic 3D renderer (as found in CS5.5 and previous), then this isn't a large factor for you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Johnny HarrisRe: What Mac should i buy?
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:46:05 pm

great input thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved