ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Putting Text on Building

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan WagnerPutting Text on Building
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:50:47 am

I'm trying to put a fake store sign onto a building. Here's what I've got so far:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make this shot better? This is film is gonna premiere in a movie theatre so I want it looking as seamless as possible. I put some grain on it and made the main text slightly transparent. Is there anything more I can do?

Also, does anyone know what that white square is doing in the middle of the frame? I imported the store sign as a .psd file, and After Effects seems to have put that white square on top of it without letting me even mask it away.

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: Putting Text on Building
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:11:52 pm

the square is from the Grain-FX - there is a checkbox, serch for it.
You only added grain INSIDE THE SQUARE!!

What else can you do? Try:
lowering the Satueration
Make a Solid, add or screen or multiply it... lower the opacity to 5% or so...

..there are endless things you can to, it all depends on that you want to tell and express...

looks good, leave it so!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Putting Text on Building
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 1:17:14 pm

Along with adding some transparency to the text, try some of the different blending modes. You will pick up a little more of the building wall and will help to weather/integrate your sign on to the wall.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Putting Text on Building
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 3:11:54 pm

In addition to what John and Stefan said, think about how signage is put on a building, what it's made of, and what dimensions it has. Many signs are hard constructs, made of wood, plexiglas, or metal, or combinations of these, so there would be some dimensions showing, with shadows (matched to the scene lighting), weathering stains on the sign and below it, and fasteners to hold it to the building. Without getting any more complicated with it, I think it looks fine, although a little too consistent in color. Look at some refence shots on the web and see how signs weather and age - a touch of that and you're good to go!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: Putting Text on Building
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 3:15:12 pm

Is the sign supposed to be painted on? If so, maybe try texturize and use the video as the texture layer.

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

Mac OS X 10.6.5
After Effects CS5
Boris Continuum
Sapphire Plug Ins
All Trapcode Plugs
Zaxwerks Invig

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Putting Text on Building
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 7:42:23 pm

Also, don't double grain your footage. Use the lettering as a matte for adding grain only where it is needed inside the text.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Putting Text on Building
by on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:00:00 am

Looks okay viewing at lower quality, but switching to 1080 on YouTube shows that you definitely need to blur the text you're adding some.

The texture you've added to the "Now Open Wednesday" portion is too intense for my tastes. I'm guessing that the front of that building has a texture as well but I don't see it in the video.

Also the material appears somewhat plastic but also transparent, is that intentional? I'd desaturate the red text a bit. Lastly, your matte on the street sign is moving incorrectly.

Generally: look at the video's real elements to guide your composited ones.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved