ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS6 Adjustment Layer unstable

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Guluk
AE CS6 Adjustment Layer unstable
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:30:30 pm

Hello,
I have an AE Compositing consisting of (bottom up order: ) Sound file (WAV), HD mpeg, a Photoshop file (matt painted to add corrections to underlying mpeg, masked to show only the areas where action happens) and finally on top an Adjustment Layer used to color enhance/correct both the Photoshop matt and mpeg movie.

The problem is that te effect layer does not seem to hold a fixed value as the movie is scrubbed as well as in rendered form. There are flashes of color and desaturation.

Without the Adjustment Layer the movie and it's matt layer hold true when scrubbed or rendered.

Why does the adjustment layer not remain consistent?

I've tried Auto Color and Auto Contrast effects applied to the Adjustment Layer
Thinking that these "auto" versions may be dynamically adjusting, I removed them and added Color Stabilizer and Levels as effects. Same problem.

Next steps are to try to recreate the matt image overlay in Premiere and if that fails pre-render the layers in AE and apply the effects to the combined result from the pre-render.

Is there a know problem using an Adjustment Layer?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: AE CS6 Adjustment Layer unstable
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:55:21 pm

I don't think that the fact that you're using an adjustment layer is the cause of what you're seeing.

The effects that you've applied (including Color Stabilizer) cause the color values of the layer to change based on the content of the layer, so it's expected that you'd see fluctuations in color if you hadn't set the effects up correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Steve Guluk
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:59:17 pm

Problem was solved by prerendering out the matt layer and video then applying the 2 effects directly to the reimported layer.

But to re-test I went back to the Composition and found no problems. The problem was dramatic as shown from this test render:

http://sgdesign.com/tmp/comp/

Since the prior problematic comp no longer shows the same results, I think it was a bug and restarting the App seems to have fixed it.

Return to posts index

Steve Guluk
on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:03:53 pm

Direct link to test movie:
http://sgdesign.com/tmp/comp/Resources/Comp%202_1.mov

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 14, 2013 at 8:06:29 pm

The After Effects CC (12.2) update fixes a cause of a crash involving the Auto Contrast effect, Auto Levels effect, and other related effects.

Let us know how it works for you after you've installed the update.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]