ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5.5 freezes on render in multiproccessing mode

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garret Layman
After Effects CS5.5 freezes on render in multiproccessing mode
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:10:43 pm

I get the beachball a few seconds after I click render on any comp in any project no matter how simple or complex if multiprocessing is turned on. I have used multiprocessing with no problems up until about a week ago and I can't seem to resolve this with solutions from any other post. My initial settings were 10 gb of RAM and 4 cores allocated for other applications. I have raised both to well over 75% of my total capacity but still no improvement. This is really slowing down my workflow, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Mac Pro 2010
2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
64 GB RAM
OSX Lion

Thanks,
Garret

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects CS5.5 freezes on render in multiproccessing mode
on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:14:03 pm

Start with the obvious hint you gave us: what changed ANY PLACE in your system about a week ago?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Garret Layman
on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:55:50 pm

That was my first inclination as well but I haven't been able to think of or find anything that has changed, I haven't run any updates or made any changes that I'm aware of.

I was however able to get AE to render with Multiprocessing after allocating my RAM to 32 for AE and 32 for everything else.

Any ideas why I would have a sudden decrease in the amount I can use?

Mac Pro
2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2048 MB

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:41:12 pm

[Garret Layman] "Any ideas why I would have a sudden decrease in the amount I can use?"

I don't know how this particular project is different from one done a week ago, but here are some generalizations:
  • The nature of the footage used: video clips in interframe, long-gop compression do work in AE, but they can both eat up memory and take more render time.
  • The nature of the AE effects used: Warp Stabilizer, Rotobrush, a time effect, removing grain. Some effects WON'T use multiprocessing even though its activated.
  • 3D: multiple lights and shadows mean lots more computation.
  • Ray Tracing: the slowest thing to render in AE, and the most computationally-intensive.

To maximize AE performance, the nice folks at Adobe have made rendering much less of a straightforward, no-brainer process than it used to be. It now takes a good grounding in how AE renders. You'd think they could make processor and memory allocation almost automatic, but they haven't.

And yes, it's a Right Royal Pain in the most tender human body part you can imagine.

AE's a mature application, and it's in dire need of massive revision and code rewriting. Instead, it seems that they keep patching the classic AE code and adding features that will sell more software rather than addressing root functionality issues that would make life easier.

A first-generation software engineer once told me that revising old and complex code can be extremely tough because it was written for hardware technology that has now changed. AE would seem to be a poster child for that comment.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Garret Layman
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:45:40 pm

Thanks Dave.

I appreciate the responses and the information. I guess at the very least we have something to look forward to, right? Let's hope anyway.

Mac Pro
2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2048 MB

Return to posts index

Nicholas Toth
on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:14:15 am

We are running AFX5.5 in our shop, and needless to say the render engine can be a train wreck (along with frequently restarting because of memory leaks). However, this nifty script tends to manage hardware resources/priority and help a lot. We cut render times down roughly 20-50% depending on the job. Don't run it in the background, run it in the foreground and have it ping all resources possible --- but read up on what does what before you alter any settings.

http://aescripts.com/bg-renderer/

It renders through the terminal/command line --- and has worked great for us. Its not an answer to your question but give the free version a shot, it might help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]