ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Reversing Moving Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan WagnerReversing Moving Text
by on Nov 28, 2012 at 11:41:12 am

I shot a scene where I have two characters carrying a large vat that has the word HONEY on it. In order to get it to match my other footage, I had to flop the shot horizontally, though this made the word HONEY read backwards. The viewer needs to be able to read the vat though. I know it won't be easy but does anyone have any idea how I can reverse the reversed word, even though it's on an object that's moving and passing through different sources of light?

Here's what I've been able to do so far:

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Reversing Moving Text
by on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:12:09 pm

Paint the board with the clone tool and then Track the shot with Mocha AE. Once it will be tracked, you can add anything on it.

Mocha comes with Ae(CS5 and above) and is a very powerful tool for tracking.

There are many tutorials on YouTube that will help you to learn Mocha basics quickly.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Reversing Moving Text
by on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:29:02 pm

I wouldn't clone stamp because the clone stamped image doesn't change. And your lighting changes.

I'd recommend tracking the reversed text -- perhaps in Mocha -- and using the NON-reversed shot with it. You may have to feather the overlaid shot to get it to look right.

And then there's the problem of that car: time remapping may help.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alan WagnerRe: Reversing Moving Text
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:54:20 am

I don't believe I'm using a clone stamp right now; I doubled the video footage, and on the top footage layer, I put a mask around the word "HONEY" (or YENOH). I then flipped that footage so it reads HONEY, then applied some position keyframes so it always stays over the YENOH in the bottom footage layer. But I'll look into Mocha, thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved