ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS6 "Screen Tearing" on Render...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric BarkerCS6 "Screen Tearing" on Render...
by on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:17:20 am

I'm having some BIZARRE problems with AE CS6 and its parsing of my interlaced video. What I'm getting basically looks like single-frame screen tearing, but not of benign preview kind, but in the final output and render.

The same footage (XDCAM EX) looks fine in Premiere CS6 and in AE CS5, and even when scrutinizing the upper and lower frames, doesn't reveal any problems. However, in After Effects CS6, the same footage develops VHS-like frame banding in specific frames. Turning the draft preview setting on will get rid of it in some frames, but create some in others. Interpret Footage > "Preserve Edge Quality" sometimes also alleviates the issue, but the problem crops up in new frames. My first thought was corrupted video, but once again, I went through it with a fine tooth comb in Premiere, and there doesn't seem to be any problems. It's only when it hits AE6 that it develops any of these screen tearing... and they do look like screen tearing, issues.

The effect looks like a horizontal band of maybe 50-200 pixels, in which data is being used from the wrong frame. It isn't an adjacent frame, either, it's pulling it from somewhere else in the video, entirely.

This is driving me crazy, and is a VERY serious problem. I would switch back to CS5, but unfortunately, I can only save as far back as CS5.5 (which I don't have), so I'm kinda screwed. If anyone has any idea as to what's going on, I'd love to hear it.

Television Producer
KTVF-11 Fairbanks, Alaska

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: CS6 "Screen Tearing" on Render...
by on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:56:49 am

I've experienced similar issues with Premiere CS6 and the solution was to update the videocard drivers- maybe it's a similar situation? Try updating to the latest drivers and see if it eliminates the problem. Also, in some situations if you have the 3D settings on your video card set to override the app settings you may get issues like this- so go in the Properties/3D Settings and make sure that "let the application decide" is checked.
Hope it helps.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS6 "Screen Tearing" on Render...
by on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:45:48 pm

There's a bug in the XDCAM EX decoder that we use from MainConcept. We got a fixed version into the bug-fix updates for Premiere Pro CS6, but not for After Effects CS6.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Eric BarkerRe: CS6 "Screen Tearing" on Render...
by on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:26:05 pm

Wow, thanks for responding! I'm guessing there's plans of fixing this in the next update? For now I'll just fall back to CS5 for most of my projects. Current one, I'll re-encode all my material to something like MPEG2 iFrame. That should also make Dan Eberts happy.

Television Producer
KTVF-11 Fairbanks, Alaska

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved