ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

light emitting type

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Nibor
light emitting type
on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:34:31 pm

I need to animate some type in front of a 3D background and I want the type to emit light on the background and if possible make it glow.

Can somebody please give me a hint how to accomplish to get the type emit light or how to fake it?

I had two or three ideas but they all turned out to be not working the way I hoped.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: light emitting type
on Nov 28, 2012 at 12:04:27 am

Should the background be dark where the light isn't emitted? Or should the type only be increasing the brightness of the background?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:00:18 am

Can you post a image that is close to what you're envisioning? It would make it easier for us to understand the issue.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:02:25 am

Ok, I guess my description was just bad.
Let me try again...

In short: I want type to act as a lightsource. Is there a way to do this in AE?

In my scene all layers are 3D. The scene is lit by a 20% Ambient light, so it's quite dark. What I called "background" in my previous post is actually a "brickwall" image. Infront of the brickwall is some moving text flowing in midair. I want the text to act like it was a neonsign and emit some light onto the wall.
I have already tried to attach a pointlight and a spot to the text, but it looked horrible because of it's shape. It just did not look like the light was coming from the text.

Right now I just had an idea how I probably could fake it. Maybe I could just put a copy of the type layer right in front of the wall, then size it up, blur it or add a glow effect and set it to be fullbright. But I'd still prefer to use a "real" lightsource if possible.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:02:43 pm

Here's a quick idea I had- maybe you can use it.

5008_textlightemittercs55.aep.zip

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Nov 28, 2012 at 6:31:27 pm

Thank you VERY much Ted! Your approach seems to be much better then mine, since it works "out of the box" on multiple items in the background regardless of their Z values.

I did put some blur on the type in the text comp which made the result look exactly as desired.

There is just one thing I could not figure out yet.
The spot still produces a visible lightcone onto the background.
I tried to get rid of it, but I couldn't. Shouldn't the light coming from the spot be completely blocked by the "lightgel" layer - except for the text areas? I don't know where the light is coming from??? The solid you used in the lightgel layer is completely black - not grey - so it's supposed to block 100% - isn't it?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:54:46 pm

The spotlight in the scene has it's shadow darkness set to less than 100%. You'll want it at 100%.

Also, consider not using the text as an alpha track matte and instead just leaving the text on top of the black solid. That way the color of the text will be cast by the light.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:22:15 am

Light 1 - turn Shadow Darkness up tp 100%

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:15:48 am