ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How would you slow-mo this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Crowley
How would you slow-mo this?
on Nov 27, 2012 at 5:30:17 am

Hey kids!

Here's my dilemma: I got some super-cool footage with my GoPro Hero strapped to a crop duster. I shot it at 720p 60fps. The footage overall is remarkably shake-free. I need to slow it down quite a bit and make it smooth. FWIW: The plane was at most times traveling 140-150 MPH and very low to the ground. How do I get smooth shots without losing picture quality and artifacting that something like Twixtor could produce on such a fast moving shot?

I have Premiere Pro and After Effects as part of the CS6 package. I know I can simply cut the speed 50% but what if I want to go slower? I'm trying to avoid the stuttering effect of not enough frames for the speed I want.

Another part of the problem: There are only a few GoPro 720 60fps shots in the documentary I'm shooting. Everything else is DSLR 1080p 24fps. How should I integrate the GoPro 720p and DSLR 1080p shots together... What is the workflow?

Here is a link to the unaltered 60fps footage to give you an idea of what I'm working with. BTW, about 1:35 in, it gets pretty damn cool!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!

*EDIT* The footage is a little blurred. I must have messed up the export settings since I was in a rush..

20 year veteran of trucking turned filmmaker: http://texomatic.com

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: How would you slow-mo this?
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:39:52 pm

[James Crowley] "Another part of the problem: There are only a few GoPro 720 60fps shots in the documentary I'm shooting. Everything else is DSLR 1080p 24fps. How should I integrate the GoPro 720p and DSLR 1080p shots together... What is the workflow?"

If you want your final video to be 1080 then you'll need to upres the 720 footage at some point. Magic Bullet Instant HD should do a better job than simply increasing the resolution via AE or an editing application but I'd recommend using a trial before you decide to lay down the cash:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-instant-hd/

As for going to slow-mo have you considered simply re-interpreting the footage as 24fps? This would playback at 40% of the speed of the source and also remove the frame rate concern when it comes to conforming the footage for inclusion in the edit.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]