ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Smooth minimalistic animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel TablasSmooth minimalistic animation
by on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:37:07 pm

I've been working with AE a lot over the last couple of months and I can't find any tutorials on achieving this type of animation . I tried experimenting for a bit by trying to mimic the background color transitions, but it just doesn't seem fluid and smooth like in the video(even with easing on my keyframes). I tried motion blur as well, but since the animation is so fast they look like gradients, taking away from the very flat minimalistic look. If anyone could guide me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

David ChappellRe: Smooth minimalistic animation
by on Nov 27, 2012 at 4:52:34 pm

To stop your motion blur looking like a gradient you simply need to increase the quality.
Composition Settings > Advanced > Samples per Frame (default I think is 16)

For very fast animation with solid colours you may need to increase quite drastically - try 64 or even higher.
Higher samples number = better quality motion blur = longer render times!

With reference to the fluidity I think that it is just more practice & experiementing with keyframing... the example you posted was obviously produced by a highly skilled motion graphics animater.

David Chappell
Freelance Motion Graphics / 3D

Return to posts index

Hannes PaulssonRe: Smooth minimalistic animation
by on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:18:06 pm

And to add to that;
to get better control over your keyframes, use the graph view and play around in there. You can adjust how smooth the keyframes act, and get a very precise control over the speed. Make sure to learn the difference between the value-graph and the speed-graph.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved